Old 05-12-2011, 12:47 PM
Bob Sauvage

Default Backup solutions for Linux servers

Hi *,

I would like to know what is your favorite solution to backup your Linux
servers.

Do you use rsnapshot ? Do you backup your data's on the cloud (via a
SaaS) ?

Cheers,

Bob !

Old 05-12-2011, 02:21 PM
cliff here

I've tried a program called mondo to make .iso snapshots of servers -
however we had problems to get it to work with LVMs and I haven't revisited
it in a while.

On Thu, May 12, 2011 at 8:47 AM, Bob Sauvage <bob.sauvage@gmx.fr> wrote:

> Hi *,
>
> I would like to know what is your favorite solution to backup your Linux
> servers.
>
> Do you use rsnapshot ? Do you backup your data's on the cloud (via a SaaS)
> ?
>
> Cheers,
>
> Bob !

NOTICE: This message, including all attachments, is intended for the use of
recipient, or the employee or agent responsible for delivering this message
to its intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any dissemination,
immediately by replying "Received in error" and immediately delete this
message and all its attachments.

Old 05-12-2011, 02:21 PM
cliff here

Old 05-12-2011, 02:32 PM
Vincent Van der Kussen

Do you need bare metal recovery or just the ability to restore files...

Regards,

Vincent Van der Kussen
System Consultant
mobile: +32473170846
direct: +32 3 369 01 93
Vincent.VanderKussen@btr-services.be

BTR Services
Groene Hofstraat 31
2850 Boom
Belgium
www.btr-services.be
tel: +32 3 450 89 80
fax: +32 3 450 89 89

- DISCLAIMER -
This message contains confidential information and is intended only for redhat-list@redhat.com. If you are not redhat-list@redhat.com, you should not disseminate, distribute or copy this e-mail. Please notify Vincent.VanderKussen@btr-services.be immediately by e-mail if you have received this e-mail by mistake and delete this e-mail from your system. E-mail transmission cannot be guaranteed to be secure or error-free as information could be intercepted, corrupted, lost, destroyed, arrive late or incomplete, or contain viruses. Vincent Van der Kussen therefore does not accept liability for any errors or omissions in the contents of this message, which arise as a result of e-mail transmission. If verification is required please request a hard-copy version.

Old 05-12-2011, 04:33 PM
cliff here

Not to hijack the thread from the OP, but I would be curious to see what
people are doing for a bare metal backups, since most of the actual data I
have are usually rsynced.

Old 05-12-2011, 05:02 PM
"Allen, Jack"

Not to hijack the thread from the OP, but I would be curious to see what
people are doing for a bare metal backups, since most of the actual data
have are usually rsynced.

On Thu, May 12, 2011 at 10:32 AM, Vincent Van der Kussen <
Vincent.VanderKussen@btr-services.be> wrote:

> Do you need bare metal recovery or just the ability to restore
files...

> Regards,
>

> Vincent Van der Kussen
> System Consultant
> mobile: +32473170846
> direct: +32 3 369 01 93
> Vincent.VanderKussen@btr-services.be
>
> BTR Services
> Groene Hofstraat 31
> 2850 Boom
> Belgium
> www.btr-services.be
> tel: +32 3 450 89 80
> fax: +32 3 450 89 89

[Jack Allen] We require our customers that use Linux configuration to
use Storix for Bare Meta Restore and then IBM's TSM or Veritas NetBackup
for daily backups of the OS and database. The database backup is written
by us using the vendors API.

Old 05-12-2011, 05:14 PM
David Bear

I don't think this hijacks the thread -- its part of the over all question,
because a good backup solution is useless without a good restoration.

This is my concern as well - we do a lot of rsycn'ing in addition to using
Tivoli (TSM). TSM is centrally run and provides more of a disaster recovery
option for us rather than a quick 'restore point' solution. I'm sure TSM
could do that as well, but so far, we haven't worked through details of
making that work with the guys that run TSM.

College of Public Programs at ASU
602-496-0424

Old 05-12-2011, 05:51 PM
Vincent Van der Kussen

On Thu, 12 May 2011, 19:26:42 CEST, David Bear <David.Bear@asu.edu<mailtoavid.Bear@asu.edu>> wrote:

> I don't think this hijacks the thread -- its part of the over all
> question,
> because a good backup solution is useless without a good restoration.
>
> This is my concern as well - we do a lot of rsycn'ing in addition to
> using
> Tivoli (TSM). TSM is centrally run and provides more of a disaster
> recovery
> option for us rather than a quick 'restore point' solution. I'm sure TSM
> could do that as well, but so far, we haven't worked through details of
> making that work with the guys that run TSM.
>
> On Thu, May 12, 2011 at 9:33 AM, cliff here <c4ifford@gmail.com<mailto:c4ifford@gmail.com>> wrote:
>
> > Not to hijack the thread from the OP, but I would be curious to see
> what
> > people are doing for a bare metal backups, since most of the actual
> data I
> > have are usually rsynced.
> >
> > On Thu, May 12, 2011 at 10:32 AM, Vincent Van der Kussen <
> > Vincent.VanderKussen@btr-services.be<mailto:Vincent.VanderKussen@btr-services.be>> wrote:
> >
> > > Do you need bare metal recovery or just the ability to restore
> files...
> > >
> > > Regards,
> > >

> > > Vincent Van der Kussen
> > > System Consultant
> > > mobile: +32473170846
> > > direct: +32 3 369 01 93
> > > Vincent.VanderKussen@btr-services.be<mailto:Vincent.VanderKussen@btr-services.be>
> > >
> > > BTR Services
> > > Groene Hofstraat 31
> > > 2850 Boom
> > > Belgium
> > > www.btr-services.be<http://www.btr-services.be>
> > > tel: +32 3 450 89 80
> > > fax: +32 3 450 89 89
> > >

> > > - DISCLAIMER -
> > > This message contains confidential information and is intended only
> for
> > > redhat-list@redhat.com.<mailto:redhat-list@redhat.com.> If you are not redhat-list@redhat.com<mailto:redhat-list@redhat.com>, you
> > should
> > > not disseminate, distribute or copy this e-mail. Please notify
> > > Vincent.VanderKussen@btr-services.be<mailto:Vincent.VanderKussen@btr-services.be> immediately by e-mail if you
> have
> > > received this e-mail by mistake and delete this e-mail from your
> system.
> > > E-mail transmission cannot be guaranteed to be secure or error-free
> as
> > > information could be intercepted, corrupted, lost, destroyed, arrive
> late
> > or
> > > incomplete, or contain viruses. Vincent Van der Kussen therefore
> does not
> > > accept liability for any errors or omissions in the contents of this
> > > message, which arise as a result of e-mail transmission. If
> verification
> > is
> > > required please request a hard-copy version.

[http://www.btr-services.be/images/btr%20Services.gif] We assist Banks on their Transformation Road
Vincent Van der Kussen
System Consultant Groene Hofstraat 31
2850 Boom
Belgium
mobile: +32473170846
direct: +32 3 369 01 93
Vincent.VanderKussen@btr-services.be tel: +32 3 450 8980

________________________________

We use Bacula for backups. I think it can do bare metal restores to, but not sure about that.

Rear is something i would use for disaster recovery.

Old 05-12-2011, 05:54 PM
"Kyle O'Donnell"

tar works really well:
http://www.gnu.org/software/automake/manual/tar/Incremental-Dumps.html

I've used amanda as well http://www.amanda.org/

for a bare metal type backup we just started playing with systemimager,
which is meant for deploying an OS, but can be used to do backups too:
http://wiki.systemimager.org/index.php/Main_Page

Old 05-12-2011, 06:30 PM
Bob Wickline

I've been looking at ReaR (Relax and Recover) for bare-metal restore. Anyone else using it? Anyone with good or bad stories about it?

Not to hijack the thread from the OP, but I would be curious to see what people are doing for a bare metal backups, since most of the actual data I have are usually rsynced. On Thu, May 12, 2011 at 10:32 AM, Vincent Van der Kussen < Vincent.VanderKussen@btr-services.be> wrote: > Do you need bare metal recovery or just the ability to restore files... > > Regards, > > > Vincent Van der Kussen > System Consultant > mobile: +32473170846 > direct: +32 3 369 01 93 > Vincent.VanderKussen@btr-services.be > > BTR Services > Groene Hofstraat 31 > 2850 Boom > Belgium > www.btr-services.be > tel: +32 3 450 89 80 > fax: +32 3 450 89 89 > > > > - DISCLAIMER - > This message contains confidential information and is intended only for > redhat-list@redhat.com. If you are not redhat-list@redhat.com, you should > not disseminate, distribute or copy this e-mail. Please notify > Vincent.VanderKussen@btr-services.be immediately by e-mail if you have > received this e-mail by mistake and delete th!