Old 05-06-2011, 10:32 PM
Mun

Default Help Needed: My RHEL5 box suddenly stopped accepting e-mails

Hi,

Particulars:
Red Hat Enterprise Linux Client release 5.6 (Tikanga)

This last Thu morning (05.05.2011) my RHEL5 suddenly stopped accepting
e-mails from other than itself. I don't know if the following is
related, but the following updates were done around the time of the
problem starting:

------------------------------ Delimiter BEGIN --------------------------------
May 05 08:28:43 Updated: xmlsec1-1.2.9-8.1.2.x86_64
May 05 08:28:44 Updated: 1:autofs-5.0.1-0.rc2.143.el5_6.2.x86_64
May 05 08:28:45 Updated: xmlsec1-1.2.9-8.1.2.i386
May 05 08:28:46 Updated: xmlsec1-devel-1.2.9-8.1.2.i386
May 05 08:28:46 Updated: xmlsec1-devel-1.2.9-8.1.2.x86_64
------------------------------- Delimiter END ---------------------------------

I have since downgraded those packages, but it hasn't helped. My IT
department has checked various things and they say everything looks
okay--but there is no explanation for why my system won't accept e-mail.

I can watch the network traffic via tcpdump and send myself an e-mail
from our exchange server and I see my system and the exchange server
exchanging packets; but my system apparently is not accepting the
e-mail. And exchange will eventually send a "Delivery Delayed" message.

If I can't get this resolved I will be forced to use Outlook

Any assistance would be *greatly* appreciated.

Mun

Old 05-06-2011, 11:56 PM
Mun

Hi Richard,

Thanks for your reply.

I had saved off /etc/mail when we first got email working properly on my
system (a couple of years ago) and I compared the current sendmail.cf to the
"known good" copy. The only difference I see is that IT has uncommented the
following line:

O Timeout.ident=0

With respect to sendmail.mc, the version currently used by the system had
the following lines commented out:

MASQUERADE_AS(`mydomain.com')dnl

FEATURE(masquerade_envelope)dnl

MASQUERADE_DOMAIN(localhost)dnl

MASQUERADE_DOMAIN(localhost.localdomain)dnl

I'm not too experienced with sendmail, but it doesn't appear to me as if the
changes above would result in the problem I am having; does it?

Mun

Old 05-07-2011, 08:09 PM
Mun

Hi Richard,

On Sat, May 7, 2011 at 3:38 AM, lists-redhat <
replies-lists-b3z1-redhat@listmail.innovate.net> wrote:

> in your .cf, what do you have as an active (not commented out)
> option the under:
>
> # SMTP daemon options
>
> tag?
>
> is it:
>
> O DaemonPortOptions=Port=smtp,Addr=127.0.0.1, Name=MTA
>
> or something more along the lines of one of the following:
>
> O DaemonPortOptions=Name=IPv4, Family=inet
>
> O DaemonPortOptions=Name=MTA

I have the choice immediately above in my sendmail.cf:
DaemonPortOptions=Name=MTA

> The first, with the 127.0.0.1, is the default for RHEL and will only
> accept localhost mail. The other two are forms will allow it to
> accept mail from off localhost.
>
> If that looks ok, try telnetting to port 25 on this machine from
> off-host - e.g., from the exchange server. Do you get a "connection
> refused" response or a "hang". If "connection refused", then it's
> most likely the sendmail daemon doing the blocking. If you get a
> "hang", then it's likely a firewall of some nature, e.g., iptables.

I get "connection lost" or "Connection timed out"; depending on the computer
I use to run telnet.
The "connection lost" is what my Windows XP box returned; and the
"Connection timed out" is what
another Linux box returned.

> Have you looked at your machine's logs (maillog, messages, secure
> being the most obvious) they may give some hints.

Yes. I have looked at those, as has the company's IT dept. But there were
no messages that
would help with this issue.

> Have you restarted sendmail?

Yes. I've also rebooted a coupled of times; nothing seems to help.

It's just so weird that with no obvious changes made (except for the updates
applied and then
downgraded that I mentioned in my initial message) that my box would just
all of the sudden
stop accepting email.

Thanks very much for the reply. I greatly appreciate the ideas.

Mun

Old 05-07-2011, 08:27 PM
Bohdan Sydor

On 05/07/2011 10:09 PM, Mun wrote:

> I get "connection lost" or "Connection timed out"; depending on the computer
> I use to run telnet.
> The "connection lost" is what my Windows XP box returned; and the
> "Connection timed out" is what
> another Linux box returned.

Please log in as root and run the following commands:

service sendmail status

chckconfig --list sendmail

netstat -ntlp | grep :25

iptables-save

grep -v '^#' /etc/hosts.{allow,deny}

We'll be able to see which process is listening on smtp port and if it's
not being blocked by either the packet filter, nor tcp_wrappers.

--
regards

Bohdan Sydor
www.sydor.net

Old 05-07-2011, 09:00 PM
Peter Skensved

> Particulars:
> Red Hat Enterprise Linux Client release 5.6 (Tikanga)
>
> This last Thu morning (05.05.2011) my RHEL5 suddenly stopped accepting
> e-mails from other than itself. I don't know if the following is
> related, but the following updates were done around the time of the
> problem starting:

Normally the only change needed to get sendmail to accept external mail is :

Change the line :

DAEMON_OPTIONS(`Port=smtp,Addr=127.0.0.1, Name=MTA')dnl

in /etc/smail/sendmail.mc to :

DAEMON_OPTIONS(`Port=smtp, Name=MTA')dnl

Then restart sendmail

peter

----

Peter Skensved Email : peter@SNO.Phy.QueensU.CA
Dept. of Physics,
Queen's University,
Kingston, Ontario,
Canada

Old 05-08-2011, 04:30 AM
Mun

Hi Bohdan,

Thanks for your reply.
Please see below for my comments.

On Sat, May 7, 2011 at 1:27 PM, Bohdan Sydor <bohdan@harazd.net> wrote:

> On 05/07/2011 10:09 PM, Mun wrote:
>
> > I get "connection lost" or "Connection timed out"; depending on the
> computer
> > I use to run telnet.
> > The "connection lost" is what my Windows XP box returned; and the
> > "Connection timed out" is what
> > another Linux box returned.
>
> Please log in as root and run the following commands:
>
> service sendmail status

sendmail (pid 18176) is running...

> chckconfig --list sendmail

sendmail 0ff 1ff 2n 3n 4n 5n 6ff

> netstat -ntlp | grep :25

tcp 0 0 0.0.0.0:25 0.0.0.0:* LISTEN 18176/sendmail: acc

> iptables-save
>
> grep -v '^#' /etc/hosts.{allow,deny}

/etc/hosts.deny:

> We'll be able to see which process is listening on smtp port and if it's
> not being blocked by either the packet filter, nor tcp_wrappers.

Does everything above look okay?

Mun

Old 05-08-2011, 04:51 AM
Mun

Hi Richard,

On Sat, May 7, 2011 at 1:50 PM, lists-redhat <
replies-lists-b3z1-redhat@listmail.innovate.net> wrote:

> if you're telnetting specifically to port 25, the smtp port (not
> generically to the machine, which will get you to port 23) and
> you're getting "connection lost" or "connection timed out", then you
> most likely have some type of a firewall issue.

Yes, for the experiment I was telnetting specifically to port 25.
Your assessment of the issue does appear to have merit: Note that when I
sent
an email from my gmail account to my workstation, gmail eventually sent me a
warning
stating that "The recipient server did not accept our requests to connect."
Which
seems to reinforce your theory.

> from the machine itself, try telnetting to its port 25 *by ipnumber*
> (not name). make certain that you see that it's not trying to
> connect to 127.0.0.1 (which will probably happen if you try by
> name). if you get a connect, then it's likely an off-host
> firewall/routing issue.

I got a connection to sendmail.

> then, try telnetting to "127.0.0.1 25" -- you should get sendmail
> connect.

I got a connection to sendmail.

> if the telnetting to port 25 by the machine's ipnumber gets a hang
> then you likely have an on-host firewall issue. iptables is the most
> likely machine-specific firewall. you can look in /etc/sysconfig to
> see if you have an iptables setup. if so, turn iptables off and try
> telnetting in to port 25 (by ipnumber and from off-host) and see
> what you get.
>
> if the issue appears to be an off-host firewall issue, then you need
> to step back and see what's going on from the outside.

It would seem that I am here, right?

> [honestly, if you did nothing to your machine setup, i'd bet on some
> external/network change to be causing your issue.]

I'm a little nervous that the updates that were installed did something to
cause this
side affect--but by reading their descriptions, that shouldn't of been the
case. Furthermore,
since I downgraded the respective patches I should be back to a working
system.

Thus, I am in agreement that it _does_ seem to be something external to my
machine.
Although, my IT dept does not agree; so I may be out of luck.

> [by the way, you don't need to reboot the machine to restart
> sendmail, or other service starts/stops (rebooting to restart/fix
> things is the windows approach to life, and not generally necessary,
> or recommended, in the unix world.)]

Agreed. I did the reboots in response to downgrading packages. Strictly
speaking,
the downgrades did not require reboots. But because the downgrade had no
affect on my problem,
I thought I'd reboot--just in case. Plus, I was desperate.

Kind regards,

--
Mun

Old 05-08-2011, 05:06 AM
Mun

Hi Peter,

On Sat, May 7, 2011 at 2:00 PM, Peter Skensved <peter@jay.phy.queensu.ca>wrote:

> > Particulars:
> > Red Hat Enterprise Linux Client release 5.6 (Tikanga)
> >
> > This last Thu morning (05.05.2011) my RHEL5 suddenly stopped accepting
> > e-mails from other than itself. I don't know if the following is
> > related, but the following updates were done around the time of the
> > problem starting:
>

> Normally the only change needed to get sendmail to accept external mail is
> :
>
> Change the line :
>
> DAEMON_OPTIONS(`Port=smtp,Addr=127.0.0.1, Name=MTA')dnl
>
> in /etc/smail/sendmail.mc to :
>
> DAEMON_OPTIONS(`Port=smtp, Name=MTA')dnl

I think my sendmail.cf file had the analogous change in it--even though
there was not an
uncommented line like the above in my sendmail.mc file. I went ahead and
made the change
to my sendmail.mc file and restarted sendmail; but it did not make any
difference.

Mun

Old 05-08-2011, 05:21 AM
Bohdan Sydor

On 05/08/2011 06:30 AM, Mun wrote:

> Does everything above look okay?

Yes, they all seem to be alright.

Next, let's try to telnet to the smtp port:

- from the localhost. Simply telnet localhost 25 and try to submit a
sample msg.

- from any other machine that is in the same subnet as the mail server

>From any other remote hosts we already know that it fails. But do you
refer to the MTA by address or by name? Check the DNS entries for the MTA:

host -t mx yourDomainName
host -t a theResultNameFromPreviousCmd
Is it the same IP as assigned to the server?

--
regards

Bohdan Sydor
www.sydor.net

Old 05-08-2011, 06:21 AM
Mun

Hi Bohdan,

On Sat, May 7, 2011 at 10:21 PM, Bohdan Sydor <bohdan@harazd.net> wrote:

> On 05/08/2011 06:30 AM, Mun wrote:
>
> > Does everything above look okay?
>
> Yes, they all seem to be alright.
>
> Next, let's try to telnet to the smtp port:
>
> - from the localhost. Simply telnet localhost 25 and try to submit a
> sample msg.

You are now beyond my understanding of sendmail. After telnetting,
what is the command I should enter?

> - from any other machine that is in the same subnet as the mail server
>

> >From any other remote hosts we already know that it fails. But do you
> refer to the MTA by address or by name? Check the DNS entries for the MTA:
>
> host -t mx yourDomainName

This returned a name (not an address). Let say "xyz1.domain"

> host -t a theResultNameFromPreviousCmd
> Is it the same IP as assigned to the server?

Yes, the IP does match that of "xyz1.domain"

But this piqued my interest, and when I look in sendmail.cf I see the
following lines:
# "Smart" relay host (may be null)
DSabc1.domain

Should this entry be "xyz1.domain" (to match the the 'host -t mx' command's
output)?
Or is it okay that the line in sendmail.cf refers to a different server?

Best regards,

--
Mun