Old 03-19-2011, 03:25 PM
Phil Savoie

Default RHEL6 and Samba Mount Points

Hi All,

My question concerns where the samba mount can be found when creating
access to a win box across the network from my RHEL6 machine. In Gnome,
using the menu: Places-->Network-->Windows
Network-->Workgroup-->winHost-->NameofShare

I am able to browse, create and delete files on the Winbox. As this
Winbox is a machine that does scanning of my receipts etc, what I would
like to know is where is the mount point created to access this winbox
is on my RH server.

The reason I am asking is that I would like to attach scanned receipts
to my thunderbird client email program On the RH server but I don't know
where to look to find the mount point that was created so I can attach
the receipts that I had scanned in to the winbox.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thank you,

Phil

Old 03-20-2011, 07:23 AM
Corey Kovacs

from your windows machine, in the location bar for the file browser,
you can enter servername where servername is of course the name of
your server

Of course you can browse as well via the Start->Network menu..

-C

Old 03-20-2011, 11:58 AM
Phil Savoie

Corey,

Thank you for your response. However it is the reverse of what I want.
That is to say, the winbox is holding the scanned files. What I would
like to know is where does the RHEL6 box mount the winbox share when I
browse through Gnome using the menu:
Places-->Network-->WindowsNetwork-->Workgroup-->winHost-->NameofShare
where an icon shows up on my RHEL6 server.

Again thank you for taking the time to answer my question.

Phil

Old 03-20-2011, 12:29 PM
Corey Kovacs

Ahh, sorry, one of these days I'll learn to _read_ posts

Not sure honestly how gnome functions in that regard but if it's
something you do often enough (sounds like it is) you should think
about setting up autofs, or a static mount. I am pretty sure the gnome
method uses the gvfs layer and hides it all from you.

For instance, adding

scans -fstype=smbfs,username=myuser,password=mypass,uid=1 000,gid=1000 ://mywinserver/scans

to /etc/auto.misc

will allow you to access /misc/scans

and get your files.

There are better ways, but this will work.

-C

Old 03-20-2011, 05:45 PM
Eugene Vilensky

On Sun, Mar 20, 2011 at 7:58 AM, Phil Savoie <psavoie1783@rogers.com> wrote:

> Corey,
>
> Thank you for your response. However it is the reverse of what I want.
> That is to say, the winbox is holding the scanned files. What I would
> like to know is where does the RHEL6 box mount the winbox share when I
> browse through Gnome using the menu:
> Places-->Network-->WindowsNetwork-->Workgroup-->winHost-->NameofShare
> where an icon shows up on my RHEL6 server.
>
> Again thank you for taking the time to answer my question.

I believe it's under the Gnome VFS implementation...so .gvfs or something
like that?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GVFS

Old 03-20-2011, 09:29 PM
Phil Savoie

Thank you Gentelmen (Corey and Eugene)

As I am out of town now, just arrived in Toronto, I'll have to check
next weekend and see if it is under the .gvfs directory.

Many thanks to both of you for your thoughts.

Phil