FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
» Video Reviews

» Linux Archive

Linux-archive is a website aiming to archive linux email lists and to make them easily accessible for linux users/developers.


» Sponsor

» Partners

» Sponsor

Go Back   Linux Archive > Redhat > Red Hat Linux

 
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
 
Old 02-01-2011, 01:24 PM
nani
 
Default Cylinder issue

Hi Have this layout

Device Boot Start End Blocks Id System
/dev/sda1 * 1 13 104391 83 Linux
/dev/sda2 14 12761 102398310 83 Linux
*/dev/sda3 12762 15312 20490907+ 83 Linux
/dev/sda4 30543 35642 40965750 f Win95 Ext'd (LBA)*
/dev/sda5 30543 33092 20482843+ 83 Linux
/dev/sda6 33093 35642 20482843+ 83 Linux
[root@ktwmbak2 1]#

If you could see that /dev/sda3 is ended up with 15312 and /dev/sda4 has
started with 30543

If I wanted to create a new partition starting with cylinder of 15313 it is
not allowing me

[root@ktwmbak2 1]# fdisk /dev/sda

The number of cylinders for this disk is set to 35642.
There is nothing wrong with that, but this is larger than 1024,
and could in certain setups cause problems with:
1) software that runs at boot time (e.g., old versions of LILO)
2) booting and partitioning software from other OSs
(e.g., DOS FDISK, OS/2 FDISK)

Command (m for help): n
No free sectors available

My Disk is of Size 287GB

and DF -h output is

[root@ktwmbak2 root]# df -h
Filesystem Size Used Avail Use% Mounted on
/dev/sda3 20G 13G 5.9G 68% /
/dev/sda1 99M 36M 58M 39% /boot
/dev/sda2 97G 43G 50G 47% /opt/oracle
/dev/sda6 20G 33M 19G 1% /opt/oracle/archlog
/dev/sda5 20G 5.9G 13G 32% /opt/redprarie
none 4.0G 0 4.0G 0% /dev/shm
[root@ktwmbak2 root]#

Please suggest on this missing cylinders

Thanks and Regards,
Srinath
[
--
redhat-list mailing list
unsubscribe mailto:redhat-list-request@redhat.com?subject=unsubscribe
https://www.redhat.com/mailman/listinfo/redhat-list
 
Old 02-01-2011, 01:49 PM
"Mike Burger"
 
Default Cylinder issue

You have reached the maximum number of primary partitions you can create
on your hard drive. You are permitted 4 primary partitions, or 3 primary
and one extended, with the extended partition containing logical
partitions within.

You will not be able to create another partition residing between 15312
and 30543.

Your only option will likely be to back up, repartition, and restore.

And, IMO, if you're going to repartition, you're better off creating /boot
as a partition, and then using LVM to carve up the rest of the disk.

> Hi Have this layout
>
> Device Boot Start End Blocks Id System
> /dev/sda1 * 1 13 104391 83 Linux
> /dev/sda2 14 12761 102398310 83 Linux
> */dev/sda3 12762 15312 20490907+ 83 Linux
> /dev/sda4 30543 35642 40965750 f Win95 Ext'd (LBA)*
> /dev/sda5 30543 33092 20482843+ 83 Linux
> /dev/sda6 33093 35642 20482843+ 83 Linux
> [root@ktwmbak2 1]#
>
> If you could see that /dev/sda3 is ended up with 15312 and /dev/sda4 has
> started with 30543
>
> If I wanted to create a new partition starting with cylinder of 15313 it
> is
> not allowing me
>
> [root@ktwmbak2 1]# fdisk /dev/sda
>
> The number of cylinders for this disk is set to 35642.
> There is nothing wrong with that, but this is larger than 1024,
> and could in certain setups cause problems with:
> 1) software that runs at boot time (e.g., old versions of LILO)
> 2) booting and partitioning software from other OSs
> (e.g., DOS FDISK, OS/2 FDISK)
>
> Command (m for help): n
> No free sectors available
>
> My Disk is of Size 287GB
>
> and DF -h output is
>
> [root@ktwmbak2 root]# df -h
> Filesystem Size Used Avail Use% Mounted on
> /dev/sda3 20G 13G 5.9G 68% /
> /dev/sda1 99M 36M 58M 39% /boot
> /dev/sda2 97G 43G 50G 47% /opt/oracle
> /dev/sda6 20G 33M 19G 1% /opt/oracle/archlog
> /dev/sda5 20G 5.9G 13G 32% /opt/redprarie
> none 4.0G 0 4.0G 0% /dev/shm
> [root@ktwmbak2 root]#
>
> Please suggest on this missing cylinders
>
> Thanks and Regards,
> Srinath
> [
> --
> redhat-list mailing list
> unsubscribe mailto:redhat-list-request@redhat.com?subject=unsubscribe
> https://www.redhat.com/mailman/listinfo/redhat-list
>


--
Mike Burger
http://www.bubbanfriends.org

Visit the Dog Pound II BBS
telnet://dogpound2.citadel.org or http://dogpound2.citadel.org

To be notified of updates to the web site, visit:

https://www.bubbanfriends.org/mailman/listinfo/site-update

or send a blank email message to:

site-update-subscribe@bubbanfriends.org

--
redhat-list mailing list
unsubscribe mailto:redhat-list-request@redhat.com?subject=unsubscribe
https://www.redhat.com/mailman/listinfo/redhat-list
 
Old 02-01-2011, 02:25 PM
 
Default Cylinder issue

Mike Burger wrote:
> You have reached the maximum number of primary partitions you can create
> on your hard drive. You are permitted 4 primary partitions, or 3 primary
> and one extended, with the extended partition containing logical
> partitions within.
>
> You will not be able to create another partition residing between 15312
> and 30543.
>
> Your only option will likely be to back up, repartition, and restore.
>
> And, IMO, if you're going to repartition, you're better off creating /boot
> as a partition, and then using LVM to carve up the rest of the disk.
<snip>
Actually, since he's got 6 partitions, it looks to me as though he's
already got one of them as an extended partition... or else his partition
table's really screwed up.

mark

--
redhat-list mailing list
unsubscribe mailto:redhat-list-request@redhat.com?subject=unsubscribe
https://www.redhat.com/mailman/listinfo/redhat-list
 
Old 02-01-2011, 05:11 PM
"Mike Burger"
 
Default Cylinder issue

> Mike Burger wrote:
>> You have reached the maximum number of primary partitions you can create
>> on your hard drive. You are permitted 4 primary partitions, or 3
>> primary
>> and one extended, with the extended partition containing logical
>> partitions within.
>>
>> You will not be able to create another partition residing between 15312
>> and 30543.
>>
>> Your only option will likely be to back up, repartition, and restore.
>>
>> And, IMO, if you're going to repartition, you're better off creating
>> /boot
>> as a partition, and then using LVM to carve up the rest of the disk.
> <snip>
> Actually, since he's got 6 partitions, it looks to me as though he's
> already got one of them as an extended partition... or else his partition
> table's really screwed up.

You're correct...I just didn't point that out as it seemed pretty self
evident to me, as well. ;-)

--
Mike Burger
http://www.bubbanfriends.org

Visit the Dog Pound II BBS
telnet://dogpound2.citadel.org or http://dogpound2.citadel.org

To be notified of updates to the web site, visit:

https://www.bubbanfriends.org/mailman/listinfo/site-update

or send a blank email message to:

site-update-subscribe@bubbanfriends.org

--
redhat-list mailing list
unsubscribe mailto:redhat-list-request@redhat.com?subject=unsubscribe
https://www.redhat.com/mailman/listinfo/redhat-list
 

Thread Tools




All times are GMT. The time now is 05:08 AM.

VBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO ©2007, Crawlability, Inc.
Copyright 2007 - 2008, www.linux-archive.org