-   -   Any Certified Laptops In The Future? (http://www.linux-archive.org/red-hat-linux/4837-any-certified-laptops-future.html)

"Joseph Smidt" 11-25-2007 06:32 PM

Any Certified Laptops In The Future?

I would love to run red hat but need to run it on a laptop. Is there
any effort to get red hat certified on laptops as it is on desktops
and workstations? I don't need pre-installed. Thanks.

Joseph Smidt

"Herta Van den Eynde" 11-25-2007 09:56 PM

On 25/11/2007, Joseph Smidt <josephsmidt@gmail.com> wrote:
> I would love to run red hat but need to run it on a laptop. Is there
> any effort to get red hat certified on laptops as it is on desktops
> and workstations? I don't need pre-installed. Thanks.
>
> Joseph Smidt

> Joseph Smidt
> josephsmidt@gmail.com

HP has certified the nc8000, nw8000, and notebooks certified for Red
Hat 4. Cf.
http://h71028.www7.hp.com/enterprise/cache/313176-0-0-225-121.html?jumpid=reg_R1002_USEN
http://h71028.www7.hp.com/enterprise/cache/313191-0-0-225-121.html?jumpid=reg_R1002_USEN
http://h71028.www7.hp.com/enterprise/cache/386527-0-0-0-121.html

Other vendors may as well. Have you checked their pages?

And do you need Red Hat to be certified or simply to run? If the
latter, choose the laptop you prefer, then browse the internet to see
if people or running Red Hat on them and have issues with them or not.
I've been running linux (mostly Red Hat and Fedora) on Dell and HP
laptops since 2001.

Kind regards,

Herta

"nilesh vaghela" 11-26-2007 02:10 AM

Any Certified Laptops In The Future?

You can just reffer

http://hardware.redhat.com

Lots of desktop and workstation from different vender's are supported.

Check for mobile also.

On Nov 26, 2007 4:26 AM, Herta Van den Eynde <herta.vandeneynde@gmail.com>
wrote:

> On 25/11/2007, Joseph Smidt <josephsmidt@gmail.com> wrote:
> > I would love to run red hat but need to run it on a laptop. Is there
> > any effort to get red hat certified on laptops as it is on desktops
> > and workstations? I don't need pre-installed. Thanks.
> >
> > Joseph Smidt
> >
> > --

> > Joseph Smidt
> > josephsmidt@gmail.com
>

> HP has certified the nc8000, nw8000, and notebooks certified for Red
> Hat 4. Cf.
>
> http://h71028.www7.hp.com/enterprise/cache/313176-0-0-225-121.html?jumpid=reg_R1002_USEN
>
> http://h71028.www7.hp.com/enterprise/cache/313191-0-0-225-121.html?jumpid=reg_R1002_USEN
> http://h71028.www7.hp.com/enterprise/cache/386527-0-0-0-121.html
>
> Other vendors may as well. Have you checked their pages?
>
> And do you need Red Hat to be certified or simply to run? If the
> latter, choose the laptop you prefer, then browse the internet to see
> if people or running Red Hat on them and have issues with them or not.
> I've been running linux (mostly Red Hat and Fedora) on Dell and HP
> laptops since 2001.
>
> Kind regards,
>
> Herta

Nilesh Vaghela
ElectroMech
Redhat Channel Partner and Training Partner
74, Nalanda Complex, Satellite Rd, Ahmedabad
25, The Emperor, Fatehgunj, Baroda.
www.electromech.info

11-26-2007 10:29 AM

Any Certified Laptops In The Future?

I regulary run a variety of Linux distro on laptops. Some work fine
right out of the box. Right now I'm running Fedora 8 on an IBM T43
and CentOS 5.0 on a Fujitsu P7120D. The "D" was a bit of a problem as
it designates Atheros as the wireless chip set, requiring madwifi to
be installed. Other than that no problems. Both are running VMware
server and Crossover Office.