-   -   bonding + vlan (without untagged address) (http://www.linux-archive.org/red-hat-linux/482284-bonding-vlan-without-untagged-address.html)

01-28-2011 11:40 AM

bonding + vlan (without untagged address)

Hello,

I have a server with two network cards, each card is plugged on a switch
that as a default (untagged) network + a number of VLANs (tagged).

I'd like to bond the two interfaces and configure an IP address *only*
on a tagged network, not on the default one.

I tried to use "eth0", "eth1" and "bond0" as "dummy" interfaces with no
IP configured and "bond0.<vlan_ID>" as the real interface.

These are my configuration files :

/etc/modprobe.d/bonding.conf:
=============================
alias bond0 bonding
options bond0 mode=1 miimon=100

DEVICE="eth0"
ONBOOT="yes"
BOOTPROTO="none"
SLAVE="yes"
USERCTL="no"
MASTER="bond0"

("ifcfg-eth1", is the same as "ifcfg-eth0 except" for the "DEVICE")

/etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-bond0
DEVICE="bond0"
BOOTPROTO="none"
ONBOOT="yes"
USERCTL="no"

/etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-bond0.<vlan_ID>
DEVICE="bond0.<vlan_ID>"
BOOTPROTO="dhcp"
ONBOOT="yes"
VLAN="yes"
USERCTL="no"

When I boot the server, eth0 and eth1 aren't going up, bond0 exists but
complains that eth0/eth1 are not present and bond.<vlan_ID> is not up.

If I connect to the server with a KVM console and manually start the
remaining interfaces (ifup eth0 / ifup eth1 / ifup bond0.<vlan_ID>, it
works!

If I configure a IP address for bond0, it also works at bootime, but I
don't want to do that.

Do you have an idea why eth0 and eth1 are not going up when bond0 as not
IP address? Again, it works if I manually start the interfaces.

I tried on Red Hat Enterprise Linux 5.6 and 6.0, both 64 bits edition.

Regards,

Nicolas

Matty Sarro 01-28-2011 12:18 PM

bonding + vlan (without untagged address)

Any reason you aren't letting the switch control vlan access?
On Jan 28, 2011 7:49 AM, <sub@nryc.fr> wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I have a server with two network cards, each card is plugged on a switch
> that as a default (untagged) network + a number of VLANs (tagged).
>
> I'd like to bond the two interfaces and configure an IP address *only*
> on a tagged network, not on the default one.
>
> I tried to use "eth0", "eth1" and "bond0" as "dummy" interfaces with no
> IP configured and "bond0.<vlan_ID>" as the real interface.
>
> These are my configuration files :
>
> /etc/modprobe.d/bonding.conf:
> =============================
> alias bond0 bonding
> options bond0 mode=1 miimon=100
>
> /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-eth0
> DEVICE="eth0"
> ONBOOT="yes"
> BOOTPROTO="none"
> SLAVE="yes"
> USERCTL="no"
> MASTER="bond0"
>
> ("ifcfg-eth1", is the same as "ifcfg-eth0 except" for the "DEVICE")
>
> /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-bond0
> DEVICE="bond0"
> BOOTPROTO="none"
> ONBOOT="yes"
> USERCTL="no"
>
> /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-bond0.<vlan_ID>
> ================================================== ==
> DEVICE="bond0.<vlan_ID>"
> BOOTPROTO="dhcp"
> ONBOOT="yes"
> VLAN="yes"
> USERCTL="no"
>
> When I boot the server, eth0 and eth1 aren't going up, bond0 exists but
> complains that eth0/eth1 are not present and bond.<vlan_ID> is not up.
>
> If I connect to the server with a KVM console and manually start the
> remaining interfaces (ifup eth0 / ifup eth1 / ifup bond0.<vlan_ID>, it
> works!
>
> If I configure a IP address for bond0, it also works at bootime, but I
> don't want to do that.
>
> Do you have an idea why eth0 and eth1 are not going up when bond0 as not
> IP address? Again, it works if I manually start the interfaces.
>
> I tried on Red Hat Enterprise Linux 5.6 and 6.0, both 64 bits edition.
>
> Regards,
>
> Nicolas

01-28-2011 02:00 PM

bonding + vlan (without untagged address)