Old 01-26-2011, 02:42 PM
Mark Watts

Default Testing RHEV Hypervisor?

Old 01-26-2011, 03:01 PM
"Stainforth, Matthew (SD/DS)"

> On 01/26/2011 03:26 PM, Stainforth, Matthew (SD/DS) wrote:
> > I tried to do this once but found that Red Hat would only agree to do
> > managed demos. Unfortunately their resource wasn't available to set
> > it up and manage it so I requested access to the packages so we could
> > do our own demo. They declined, stating that it's too complex for a
> > customer to set up their own demo. Because of that, it ended up
> > falling through, which is a shame as we're a big VMware shop.
>
> "Too complex for a customer to setup for a demo"?
>
> How hard can it be to install + start some software on a server and use
> a GUI to provision some VM's?

Considering what we do for a living, not hard at all. But that's what you get when sales people get in the middle. To quote directly:

"Generally speaking we want an SA involved with the client up front for RHEV to ensure it goes well. The initial configuration is not as straightforward as I will be with subsequent releases. If you can wait the two weeks, I would prefer that Michael work with you and get you the eval upon his return so you don't waste cycles on installation."

I tried to press but they went unresponsive. Mind you, this seems to be par for the course in terms of Red Hat's customer relations, at least in my experience. Sad, really.

Old 01-28-2011, 03:13 AM
Eugene Vilensky

On Wed, Jan 26, 2011 at 10:01 AM, Stainforth, Matthew (SD/DS)
<Matthew.Stainforth@gnb.ca> wrote:
>> "Too complex for a customer to setup for a demo"?
>>
>> How hard can it be to install + start some software on a server and use
>> a GUI to provision some VM's?
>
> Considering what we do for a living, not hard at all. *But that's what you get when sales people get in the middle. *To quote directly:
>
> "Generally speaking we want an SA involved with the client up front for RHEV to ensure it goes well. The initial configuration is not as straightforward as I will be with subsequent releases. If you can wait the two weeks, I would prefer that Michael work with you and get you the eval upon his return so you don't waste cycles on installation."
>
> I tried to press but they went unresponsive. *Mind you, this seems to be par for the course in terms of Red Hat's customer relations, at least in my experience. *Sad, really.

Red Hat probably has many customers who couldn't configure their way
out of a paper bag made of printed man pages, and yet often have
purchasing or recommendations powers. They can't sell it if the
customer doesn't know how to do anything with it. Knowledgable admins
get caught in the middle.

Old 01-28-2011, 02:10 PM
"Stainforth, Matthew (SD/DS)"

> Red Hat probably has many customers who couldn't configure their way
> out of a paper bag made of printed man pages, and yet often have
> purchasing or recommendations powers. They can't sell it if the
> customer doesn't know how to do anything with it. Knowledgable admins
> get caught in the middle.

Granted, but I'd love to know how they think they're going to gain the support and recommendation of knowledgeable admins without granting access to the technology to evaluate independently. Even Microsoft gets that.

Old 01-28-2011, 02:37 PM

Stainforth, Matthew (SD/DS) wrote:
>> Red Hat probably has many customers who couldn't configure their way
>> out of a paper bag made of printed man pages, and yet often have
>> purchasing or recommendations powers. They can't sell it if the
>> customer doesn't know how to do anything with it. Knowledgable admins
>> get caught in the middle.
>>

> Granted, but I'd love to know how they think they're going to gain the
> support and recommendation of knowledgeable admins without granting access
> to the technology to evaluate independently. Even Microsoft gets that.

I can see them worrying about someone getting the test version and keeping
it going, but they could always put a kill after 30 days trigger in it.
Asserting that it's "too complex" is a load of horse hockey.

mark