Old 01-05-2011, 06:28 PM
"David C. Miller"

Default Grub in RHEL6 with RAID1?

Today I installed RHEL6 on system where I setup a RAID1 for the / partition. There is no separate /boot. When it came to the screen that asked where the grub boot loader would be installed it selected /dev/sda. Obviously I want the boot loader installed on both drives in case sda fails the system will still boot. Under RHEL5 I would pick /dev/md0 and it would install a MBR on both drives. However, I tried that now and the system won't boot. So I booted the rescue disk and attempted to install grub manually. I have done this probably a dozen times in the past with no issues at all. I simply run grub. I typed in "root (hd0,0)" and hit return but this time it says filesystem type unknown. It is the default ext4 RHEL put on the Linux auto RAID partition. How do I properly load grub to the master boot record on both of these drives? How do you manually install grub to drive that has ext4 on it?

Thanks.
David.

Old 01-05-2011, 06:43 PM
Tom H

On Wed, Jan 5, 2011 at 2:28 PM, David C. Miller <millerdc@fusion.gat.com> wrote:

> Today I installed RHEL6 on system where I setup a RAID1
> for the / partition. There is no separate /boot. When it
> came to the screen that asked where the grub boot loader
> would be installed it selected /dev/sda. Obviously I want
> the boot loader installed on both drives in case sda fails
> the system will still boot. Under RHEL5 I would pick
> /dev/md0 and it would install a MBR on both drives.
> However, I tried that now and the system won't boot. So
> I booted the rescue disk and attempted to install grub
> manually. I have done this probably a dozen times in the
> past with no issues at all. I simply run grub. I typed in
> "root (hd0,0)" and hit return but this time it says
> filesystem type unknown. It is the default ext4 RHEL put
> on the Linux auto RAID partition. How do I properly load
> grub to the master boot record on both of these drives?
> How do you manually install grub to drive that has ext4 on it?

I had the same problem with F14 two days ago so there must be an
Anaconda-grub bug.

I did:
grub> device (hd0) /dev/sda
grub> root (hd0,0)
grub> setup (hd0)

Old 01-06-2011, 01:45 PM
Philip Juels

I ran into this same problem with the initial beta release of RHEL6 (as well
as F13). In my case (I was using kickstart), I found that it was caused by
the fact that mdadm automatically sets the metadata option to something
other than 0.90 (I think 1.1). Grub won't install to a mirror device not
set to 0.90. Under kickstart, I created a /boot mirror which for some
reason gets set to the correct 0.90 value and so grub installs properly.
Below is my original post to the list and the subsequent response. You can
see that it is a known bug.

--PJ

Anyone know how to pass the "--metadata=0.90" option when creating RAID
mirrors in kickstart?

THX,

--PJ
Denise Dumas to Red
show details 6/22/10
>From the engineer: there is no way to specify
--metadata=0.90 from kickstart, as anaconda will do that
automatically for an mdraid set holding /boot.

Note we had a bug, which I think is present in the beta, where
this did not work when using / on mdraid without a separate /boot

Denise

Philip Juels wrote:

Reply to all
Philip Juels to ddumas, Red
show details 6/22/10
Okay, just got it to work with a separate /boot "device" (/dev/md0).

THX,

--PJ

Old 01-07-2011, 12:26 AM
Tom H

On Thu, Jan 6, 2011 at 9:45 AM, Philip Juels <juels@photodiagnostic.com> wrote:
> On Wed, Jan 5, 2011 at 2:43 PM, Tom H <tomh0665@gmail.com> wrote:
>> On Wed, Jan 5, 2011 at 2:28 PM, David C. Miller <millerdc@fusion.gat.com>
>> wrote:
>> >
>> > Today I installed RHEL6 on system where I setup a RAID1
>> > for the / partition. There is no separate /boot. When it
>> > came to the screen that asked where the grub boot loader
>> > would be installed it selected /dev/sda. Obviously I want
>> > the boot loader installed on both drives in case sda fails
>> > the system will still boot. Under RHEL5 I would pick
>> > /dev/md0 and it would install a MBR on both drives.
>> > However, I tried that now and the system won't boot. So
>> > I booted the rescue disk and attempted to install grub
>> > manually. I have done this probably a dozen times in the
>> > past with no issues at all. I simply run grub. I typed in
>> > "root (hd0,0)" and hit return but this time it says
>> > filesystem type unknown. It is the default ext4 RHEL put
>> > on the Linux auto RAID partition. How do I properly load
>> > grub to the master boot record on both of these drives?
>> > How do you manually install grub to drive that has ext4 on it?
>>
>> I had the same problem with F14 two days ago so there must be an
>> Anaconda-grub bug.
>>
>> I did:
>> grub> device (hd0) /dev/sda
>> grub> root (hd0,0)
>> grub> setup (hd0)

> Anyone know how to pass the "--metadata=0.90" option when creating RAID
> mirrors in kickstart?

No metadata option in:
http://docs.redhat.com/docs/en-US/Red_Hat_Enterprise_Linux/6/html/Installation_Guide/s1-kickstart2-options.html

(OT but for the record: on the F14 box that I refer to above I just
have "/" and the above worked with metadata 1.0 so there's been a
change between F12/F13 and F14 that we've missed out on with RHEL6.)