FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
» Video Reviews

» Linux Archive

Linux-archive is a website aiming to archive linux email lists and to make them easily accessible for linux users/developers.


» Sponsor

» Partners

» Sponsor

Go Back   Linux Archive > Redhat > Red Hat Linux

 
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
 
Old 12-01-2010, 02:50 PM
John Bolton
 
Default Kudzu removed from RHEL 6

I installed RHEL 6 and discovered Kudzu is no longer present which means the file /etc/sysconfig/hwconf is no longer created.

Is there a replacement program/daemon that detects hardware? Is there a different file where the detected hardware is listed?

Thanks,

John Bolton

--
redhat-list mailing list
unsubscribe mailto:redhat-list-request@redhat.com?subject=unsubscribe
https://www.redhat.com/mailman/listinfo/redhat-list
 
Old 12-02-2010, 03:49 PM
Matty Sarro
 
Default Kudzu removed from RHEL 6

Not sure how much this will help, but you can usually ascertain what
hardware is being detected by looking through dmesg, along with
/proc/interrupts and /proc/ioports.

HTH
-Matty

On Wed, Dec 1, 2010 at 10:50 AM, John Bolton <John.Bolton@quest.com> wrote:

> I installed RHEL 6 and discovered Kudzu is no longer present which means
> the file /etc/sysconfig/hwconf is no longer created.
>
> Is there a replacement program/daemon that detects hardware? Is there a
> different file where the detected hardware is listed?
>
> Thanks,
>
> John Bolton
>
> --
> redhat-list mailing list
> unsubscribe mailto:redhat-list-request@redhat.com?subject=unsubscribe
> https://www.redhat.com/mailman/listinfo/redhat-list
>
--
redhat-list mailing list
unsubscribe mailto:redhat-list-request@redhat.com?subject=unsubscribe
https://www.redhat.com/mailman/listinfo/redhat-list
 
Old 12-02-2010, 07:11 PM
John Bolton
 
Default Kudzu removed from RHEL 6

Matty-

Thanks for your reply.

The problem with dmesg is the data is constantly being added and at some point, the oldest data is removed. This means that the detected hardware on boot may not be in dmesg if the system has been up for months or even a year.

The data in interrupts and ioports doesn't compare with what was in hwconf. Hwconf had many more details.

Do you happen to know why Kudzu was removed?

Thanks,

John

-----Original Message-----
From: redhat-list-bounces@redhat.com [mailto:redhat-list-bounces@redhat.com] On Behalf Of Matty Sarro
Sent: Thursday, December 02, 2010 8:50 AM
To: General Red Hat Linux discussion list
Subject: Re: Kudzu removed from RHEL 6

Not sure how much this will help, but you can usually ascertain what
hardware is being detected by looking through dmesg, along with
/proc/interrupts and /proc/ioports.

HTH
-Matty

On Wed, Dec 1, 2010 at 10:50 AM, John Bolton <John.Bolton@quest.com> wrote:

> I installed RHEL 6 and discovered Kudzu is no longer present which means
> the file /etc/sysconfig/hwconf is no longer created.
>
> Is there a replacement program/daemon that detects hardware? Is there a
> different file where the detected hardware is listed?
>
> Thanks,
>
> John Bolton
>
> --
> redhat-list mailing list
> unsubscribe mailto:redhat-list-request@redhat.com?subject=unsubscribe
> https://www.redhat.com/mailman/listinfo/redhat-list
>
--
redhat-list mailing list
unsubscribe mailto:redhat-list-request@redhat.com?subject=unsubscribe
https://www.redhat.com/mailman/listinfo/redhat-list

--
redhat-list mailing list
unsubscribe mailto:redhat-list-request@redhat.com?subject=unsubscribe
https://www.redhat.com/mailman/listinfo/redhat-list
 
Old 12-02-2010, 07:28 PM
Adam Miller
 
Default Kudzu removed from RHEL 6

On Thu, Dec 02, 2010 at 08:11:40PM +0000, John Bolton wrote:
> Matty-
>
> Thanks for your reply.
>
> The problem with dmesg is the data is constantly being added and at some point, the oldest data is removed. This means that the detected hardware on boot may not be in dmesg if the system has been up for months or even a year.
>
> The data in interrupts and ioports doesn't compare with what was in hwconf. Hwconf had many more details.
>
> Do you happen to know why Kudzu was removed?
<SNIP>

If you follow the chronology of kudzu in Fedora land, kudzu was replaced
by HAL in Fedora 9 and HAL is in the process of being replaced. So I
assume HAL is what took over kudzu in the RHEL6 release.
Snippet of info here:
http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Anaconda/Features/NoMoreKudzu

I don't really know if there's anywhere else its written down in more
detail, so apologies for that.

I have also been told that dracut had a hand in it but I don't have any
concrete evidence as to that but I imagine it has to do with the quick pass
off of to real rootfs and reliance on udev/HAL, more information on
dracut can be found here ---> http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Dracut

Hope this helps,
-AdamM

--
redhat-list mailing list
unsubscribe mailto:redhat-list-request@redhat.com?subject=unsubscribe
https://www.redhat.com/mailman/listinfo/redhat-list
 
Old 12-03-2010, 09:40 AM
ESGLinux
 
Default Kudzu removed from RHEL 6

Hi All,

One hardware related question.

I have read in this
doc Red_Hat_Enterprise_Linux-6-Deployment_Guide-en-US.pdf this:

"If you are having trouble configuring your hardware or just want to know
what hardware is in your
system, you can use the Hardware Browser application to display the hardware
that can be probed.
To start the program from the desktop, select System (the main menu on the
panel) > Administration
> Hardware or type hwbrowser at a shell prompt"

Well, in the system menu there isnīt that option, and hwbrowser command
doesnīt exist. And If I look for it with yum I donīt find it.

I suposse I need to install something but I donīt know what and the doc
doesnīt help me.

any idea?

Thanks

ESG



2010/12/2 Adam Miller <maxamillion@fedoraproject.org>

> On Thu, Dec 02, 2010 at 08:11:40PM +0000, John Bolton wrote:
> > Matty-
> >
> > Thanks for your reply.
> >
> > The problem with dmesg is the data is constantly being added and at some
> point, the oldest data is removed. This means that the detected hardware on
> boot may not be in dmesg if the system has been up for months or even a
> year.
> >
> > The data in interrupts and ioports doesn't compare with what was in
> hwconf. Hwconf had many more details.
> >
> > Do you happen to know why Kudzu was removed?
> <SNIP>
>
> If you follow the chronology of kudzu in Fedora land, kudzu was replaced
> by HAL in Fedora 9 and HAL is in the process of being replaced. So I
> assume HAL is what took over kudzu in the RHEL6 release.
> Snippet of info here:
> http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Anaconda/Features/NoMoreKudzu
>
> I don't really know if there's anywhere else its written down in more
> detail, so apologies for that.
>
> I have also been told that dracut had a hand in it but I don't have any
> concrete evidence as to that but I imagine it has to do with the quick pass
> off of to real rootfs and reliance on udev/HAL, more information on
> dracut can be found here ---> http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Dracut
>
> Hope this helps,
> -AdamM
>
> --
> redhat-list mailing list
> unsubscribe mailto:redhat-list-request@redhat.com?subject=unsubscribe
> https://www.redhat.com/mailman/listinfo/redhat-list
>
--
redhat-list mailing list
unsubscribe mailto:redhat-list-request@redhat.com?subject=unsubscribe
https://www.redhat.com/mailman/listinfo/redhat-list
 

Thread Tools




All times are GMT. The time now is 01:00 AM.

VBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO ©2007, Crawlability, Inc.
Copyright Đ2007 - 2008, www.linux-archive.org