-   -   fsck errors and a lot of files in /lost+found (http://www.linux-archive.org/red-hat-linux/453753-fsck-errors-lot-files-lost-found.html)

ESGLinux 11-17-2010 10:33 AM

fsck errors and a lot of files in /lost+found

Hi All,

today I had to reboot a server that was running with problems and when I
rebooted it gives me the error that there was problems with the disks

After a long process of fsck I finally rebooted the machine but now I have a
directory /lost+found with a lot of files like these:

#1474871 #1999211 #1999240 #1999271 #1999304 #1999418 #1999445
#2064420 #2064531 #2064570 #2064612 #2064755 #66008 #826053 #827096
#832422
#1474876 #1999214 #1999241 #1999272 #1999307 #1999419 #1999446
#2064422 #2064533 #2064571 #2064614 #2064756 #66011 #826230 #827097
#832500
#1474877 #1999217 #1999242 #1999273

I noticed I have lost files (for example /etc/postfix/main.cf isnīt there so
my postfix does not start)

My question is, How can I check this files to know which files I have lost?

Thanks a lot in advance

ESG

Phil Savoie 11-17-2010 11:05 AM

[...]

Hi.

Try the file command against each filename then cat/more/less file to
see what it is, i.e., if file says it is acii or text. Then cp and
rename to appropriate place.

HTH you,

Phil

ESGLinux 11-17-2010 11:37 AM

fsck errors and a lot of files in /lost+found

Hi,

Thanks, I can see some files testing first with file command.

Iīm looking for usefull files there but some I donīt know the right place I
have to copy (for example there is a lot of files that are emails but I
donīt know the mailbox where I have to copy)

is there any way to know the original location of the files?

Thanks again ,

ESG

Jonathan S Billings 11-17-2010 12:17 PM

fsck errors and a lot of files in /lost+found

Thanks, I can see some files testing first with file command.

Iīm looking for usefull files there but some I donīt know the right place I
have to copy (for example there is a lot of files that are emails but I
donīt know the mailbox where I have to copy)

is there any way to know the original location of the files?

No, other from using the context you discover from 'file' or 'less'.

That's why the directory is called lost+found -- fsck doesn't know where
they're supposed to go.

--
Jonathan Billings <jsbillin@umich.edu>
College of Engineering - CAEN - Unix and Linux Support

Phil Savoie 11-17-2010 12:47 PM

fsck errors and a lot of files in /lost+found

Thanks, I can see some files testing first with file command.

Iīm looking for usefull files there but some I donīt know the right place I
have to copy (for example there is a lot of files that are emails but I
donīt know the mailbox where I have to copy)

is there any way to know the original location of the files?

Thanks again ,

ESG

No not really that *I* know of. But if it's email, you sould be able to
grep subject out of it and put it in the right folders. For other
things, it's probably best guess if you don't know.

Phil

11-17-2010 01:24 PM

Jonathan S Billings wrote:
> On 11/17/2010 07:37 AM, ESGLinux wrote:
>> Thanks, I can see some files testing first with file command.
>>
>> Iīm looking for usefull files there but some I donīt know the right
>> place I have to copy (for example there is a lot of files that are
emails but I
>> donīt know the mailbox where I have to copy)
>>
>> is there any way to know the original location of the files?
>
> No, other from using the context you discover from 'file' or 'less'.
>
> That's why the directory is called lost+found -- fsck doesn't know where
> they're supposed to go.

And you're assuming, perhaps unconsciously, that you can reassemble the
files, which would be a *massive* amount of work in the case of an
executable.

Oh - what caused the problems in the first place? What type of filesystem
are you using? If it's a journaling one, like ext3 or 4, etc, then my
immediate concern would be whether the drive(s) needed to be replaced
->today<-

mark

ESGLinux 11-17-2010 02:53 PM

fsck errors and a lot of files in /lost+found

Well,

Thank you for your help.

Iīm trying to restore files manually. I hope all were in /lost+found

Talking about the problem.

The server is a virtual host running. I use Xen to virtualize.

Today I update the host that runs several virtual machines. After the update
I reboot all the virtual machines. All of them start up right but this one
appears with the problem of the fsck and then you know the history.

Any suggestion about the real problem? can be the image file corrupted?

Greetings,

ESG

hike 11-18-2010 02:03 PM

On Wed, Nov 17, 2010 at 10:53 AM, ESGLinux <esggrupos@gmail.com> wrote:

> Well,
>
> Thank you for your help.
>
> Iīm trying to restore files manually. I hope all were in /lost+found
>
> Talking about the problem.
>
> The server is a virtual host running. I use Xen to virtualize.
>
> Today I update the host that runs several virtual machines. After the
> update
> I reboot all the virtual machines. All of them start up right but this one
> appears with the problem of the fsck and then you know the history.
>
> Any suggestion about the real problem? can be the image file corrupted?
>
> Greetings,
>
> ESG
>

> 2010/11/17 <m.roth@5-cent.us>
>
> > Jonathan S Billings wrote:

> > emails but I

> > > No, other from using the context you discover from 'file' or 'less'.
> > >
> > > That's why the directory is called lost+found -- fsck doesn't know
> where
> > > they're supposed to go.
> >
> > And you're assuming, perhaps unconsciously, that you can reassemble the
> > files, which would be a *massive* amount of work in the case of an
> > executable.
> >
> > Oh - what caused the problems in the first place? What type of filesystem
> > are you using? If it's a journaling one, like ext3 or 4, etc, then my
> > immediate concern would be whether the drive(s) needed to be replaced
> > ->today<-
> >
> > mark
> >
> > --

you should be able to restore from a backup. you do have a current backup,
don't you?

ESGLinux 11-18-2010 04:22 PM

fsck errors and a lot of files in /lost+found

I have, donīt worry :-)

Greetings,

ESG

"Mertens, Bram" 11-23-2010 11:46 AM

fsck errors and a lot of files in /lost+found

Mazda Motor Logistics Europe NV, Blaasveldstraat 162, B-2830 Willebroek
VAT BE 0406.024.281, RPR Mechelen, ING 310-0092504-52, IBAN : BE64 3100 0925 0452, SWIFT : BBRUBEBB

> > Thanks, I can see some files testing first with file command.
> >

> > Iīm looking for usefull files there but some I donīt know the right
> place I
> > have to copy (for example there is a lot of files that are emails but
> > donīt know the mailbox where I have to copy)
> >
> > is there any way to know the original location of the files?
>
> No, other from using the context you discover from 'file' or 'less'.
>
> That's why the directory is called lost+found -- fsck doesn't know
> where
> they're supposed to go.

I asked a similar question to this a while ago. And while I understand the argument about "lost+found" means that fsck doesn't know where to put the files I don't understand why the inode number of the file is known but the name and path aren't.

Regards

Bram