-   -   Moving RHEL4 to VM and "ES" limitations ? (http://www.linux-archive.org/red-hat-linux/452326-moving-rhel4-vm-es-limitations.html)

11-14-2010 09:22 AM

Moving RHEL4 to VM and "ES" limitations ?

Le 13/11/2010 16:01, hike a écrit :

yes, you should worry. ES is for only 2 cpus. AS is the version that you
need if you want to leave vmware the way it is now.

My understanding is that ES is limited to 2 sockets which was the case
of my Dell PowerEdge M600 (2x4 CPU).

RHEL being a VM now, maybe it sees 8 sockets instead of 2, hence the
message?

Does it means that one day or the other there will be an issue with
updates or the number of CPU?

Is there a simple way to upgrade from "ES" to "AS"?

our vmware guys limit the number of cpus that a virtual machine uses/sees.
we use RHEL 4 on a multi-processor server without this error.

I suppose you run the "AS" version?

Regards,

Nicolas

11-14-2010 09:55 AM

Moving RHEL4 to VM and "ES" limitations ?

yes, you should worry. ES is for only 2 cpus. AS is the version that you
need if you want to leave vmware the way it is now.

My understanding is that ES is limited to 2 sockets which was the case
of my Dell PowerEdge M600 (2x4 CPU).

RHEL being a VM now, maybe it sees 8 sockets instead of 2, hence the
message?

Does it means that one day or the other there will be an issue with
updates or the number of CPU?

[reply to myself]

Well, the "cpuid.coresPerSocket" in vmware should resolve my problem :

http://www.vcritical.com/2009/09/use-coreinfo-to-view-vm-core-and-socket-count/

Nicolas