-   -   Moving RHEL4 to VM and confusing redhat-support-check message (http://www.linux-archive.org/red-hat-linux/452051-moving-rhel4-vm-confusing-redhat-support-check-message.html)

11-13-2010 12:57 PM

Moving RHEL4 to VM and confusing redhat-support-check message

Hello,

I moved a RHEL4u8 system from a physical Dell PowerEdge M600 server to a
VMware virtual machine.

At bootup I have this warning and I don't know how to interpret it :

"redhat-support-check: WARNING: Red Hat Enterprise Linux ES release 4
(Nahant Update 8) requires no more than 2 CPUs to run as a supported
configuration. (8 detected)"

The virtual machine can see the 8 CPU and this warning is not shown on
my others RHEL4u8 systems (hosted on physical server).

Is it something I should worry about? If not, why do I have this message
only on this server?

Maybe it's a recent update of redhat-support-check? I haven't rebooted
my other servers in a while, maybe this message will popup too when I will?

Regards,

Nicolas

hike 11-13-2010 02:01 PM

Moving RHEL4 to VM and confusing redhat-support-check message

yes, you should worry. ES is for only 2 cpus. AS is the version that you
need if you want to leave vmware the way it is now.
our vmware guys limit the number of cpus that a virtual machine uses/sees.
we use RHEL 4 on a multi-processor server without this error.