-   -   X settings (http://www.linux-archive.org/red-hat-linux/447017-x-settings.html)

Abhilash abhi 11-02-2010 07:54 AM

X settings

Yeah..I think there is X11 backup saved as /etc/X11/x11.bkp or something
like that.. so that even if we delete that file..It will get restored from
the backup.

On Tue, Nov 2, 2010 at 2:03 PM, Phil Savoie <psavoie1783@rogers.com> wrote:

> Hi All,
>
> Question on X. I had inadvertently removed my xorg.conf file under
> /etc/X11 and rebooted the machine. To my surprise, X started without a
> problem. So, I was wondering if there was some other place where X settings
> were stored.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Phil

Abhilash

Phil Savoie 11-02-2010 09:12 AM

X settings

On 02/11/10 05:08 AM, Ben wrote:

On Tue, 2 Nov 2010, Phil Savoie wrote:

Question on X. I had inadvertently removed my xorg.conf file under
/etc/X11 and rebooted the machine. To my surprise, X started without a
problem. So, I was wondering if there was some other place where X
settings were stored.

No. However, if X cannot find an xorg.conf file it will attempt to probe
the graphics hardware (chipset and monitor DDC) and make a best guest at
an optimal setup. I've had a couple of machines in the past which didn't
actually have xorg.conf files (mainly through laziness). If you have an
esoteric monitor or newer chipset it's usually a bit harder for X to
figure out what'll work best and it will probably default to the vesa
driver and 800x600 or something similar.

If you want X to generate one for you, one way is to go into
system-config-display make a change and then let it save you an xorg.conf.

Ben

Thanks Ben. The machine is an optiplex gx210L which when I installed the
first time the video was all black with no signal to the monitor.
Turned out, that X chose the intel driver which doesn't work and after
much looking found out that the i810 driver works best or vesa if in a
pinch which I had to manually put in by booting into single-user mode
and manually changing the xorg.conf.

Having said that, if the xorg.conf went missing, why did it choose a
video config that works and not the intel driver that it chose on
install? I would have thought that it would have erroneously chose the
intel driver as it did on initial install.

This kind of doesn't make sense to me.

Phil

Karl Latiss 11-04-2010 02:10 AM

X settings

Question on X. I had inadvertently removed my xorg.conf file under
/etc/X11 and rebooted the machine. To my surprise, X started without a
problem. So, I was wondering if there was some other place where X
settings were stored.

X is now mostly run without a configuration file as it can probe for
sane config options.

I generally only use a config file now only if I have to forcefully
override a config option.

Karl.