Old 10-29-2010, 03:21 PM
Matty Sarro

Default Find out where a mount point is physically located?

Greetings everyone!
I'm hoping this isn't too noobish of a question.
Right now I am working on a server that was configured to a vendor's specs.
The vendor then came on site, and deployed their software onto the server.
However, there were some extra partitions that we'd created for the
installation and I'm not sure that they were actually used. In / there is
now a mount point called /u1. Is there any way that I can correlate that
back to a particular device on the system? I tried df -h and it isn't really
helping.
-Matthew

Old 10-29-2010, 03:33 PM
Ken Rossman

On Oct 29, 2010, at 11:21 AM, Matty Sarro wrote:

> Greetings everyone!
> I'm hoping this isn't too noobish of a question.
> Right now I am working on a server that was configured to a vendor's specs.
> The vendor then came on site, and deployed their software onto the server.
> However, there were some extra partitions that we'd created for the
> installation and I'm not sure that they were actually used. In / there is
> now a mount point called /u1. Is there any way that I can correlate that
> back to a particular device on the system? I tried df -h and it isn't really
> helping.

There may be a better way, but I was always partial to something like this:

# cd /u1
# df .

This should show you whether the partition is root or some other partition.
The physical device will be listed on the left, the mount point on the right.

KR

Old 10-29-2010, 03:35 PM
"Mike Burger"

Does the df output show /ul?

If not, it's likely a directory, not a filesystem/mountpoint.

> Greetings everyone!
> I'm hoping this isn't too noobish of a question.
> Right now I am working on a server that was configured to a vendor's
> specs.
> The vendor then came on site, and deployed their software onto the server.
> However, there were some extra partitions that we'd created for the
> installation and I'm not sure that they were actually used. In / there is
> now a mount point called /u1. Is there any way that I can correlate that
> back to a particular device on the system? I tried df -h and it isn't
> really
> helping.
> -Matthew

Mike Burger
http://www.bubbanfriends.org

Visit the Dog Pound II BBS

or send a blank email message to:

site-update-subscribe@bubbanfriends.org

Old 10-29-2010, 03:57 PM
Matty Sarro

That worked, I think the vendor screwed up. Thank you for the tip! I Never
knew df could take a file as an argument I really should read manpages
more.

Old 10-29-2010, 04:14 PM
Ken Rossman

The "." in "df ." refers to "current working directory" -- so when you first "cd /u1"
you are "in" /u1, and "df ." simply shows you stats on that current directory.

KR

On Oct 29, 2010, at 11:57 AM, Matty Sarro wrote:

> That worked, I think the vendor screwed up. Thank you for the tip! I Never
> knew df could take a file as an argument I really should read manpages
> more.
>
> On Fri, Oct 29, 2010 at 11:33 AM, Ken Rossman <wkrossman@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> On Oct 29, 2010, at 11:21 AM, Matty Sarro wrote:
>>
>>> Greetings everyone!
>>> I'm hoping this isn't too noobish of a question.
>>> Right now I am working on a server that was configured to a vendor's
>> specs.
>>> The vendor then came on site, and deployed their software onto the
>> server.
>>> However, there were some extra partitions that we'd created for the
>>> installation and I'm not sure that they were actually used. In / there is
>>> now a mount point called /u1. Is there any way that I can correlate that
>>> back to a particular device on the system? I tried df -h and it isn't
>> really
>>> helping.
>>
>> There may be a better way, but I was always partial to something like this:
>>
>> # cd /u1
>> # df .
>>
>> This should show you whether the partition is root or some other partition.
>> The physical device will be listed on the left, the mount point on the
>> right.
>>
>> KR
>>

>> --

Ken Rossman
wkrossman@gmail.com

Old 10-29-2010, 04:19 PM
"Marti, Robert"

... mount?
That will show what device is mounted where.
Sent from my iPhone

Old 10-29-2010, 04:32 PM
Matty Sarro

That also would work. So it did turn out to be kind of a dumb question, but
at least its giving me some good notes. Thanks guys! Have a wonderful
weekend!!