Old 10-28-2010, 01:55 PM
sunhux G

Default setting high temperature threshold before server self reboot

Is there any way to increase the threshold before an RHES 4.x self reboot?

And is there any command to check this threshold temperature & the current
server's temperature so that I can write a script to alert me before it
reaches
the threshold & reboot (which will cause service disruption) :

Below are messages log showing high temp which has caused one outage

Oct 23 04:10:19 localhost hpasmd[6106]: WARNING: hpasmd: System Overheating
(Zone 2, Location CPU, Temperature 80C)
Oct 23 04:10:19 localhost hpasmd[6106]: WARNING: hpasmd: Automatic Operating
System Shutdown Initiated Due to Overheat Condition
Oct 23 04:10:50 localhost lmtpunix[13085]: sql_select option missing
Oct 23 04:10:50 localhost lmtpunix[13085]: auxpropfunc error no mechanism
available
Oct 23 04:10:50 localhost pop3[13086]: sql_select option missing
Oct 23 04:10:50 localhost pop3[13086]: auxpropfunc error no mechanism
available

Old 10-28-2010, 02:01 PM

sunhux G wrote:
> Is there any way to increase the threshold before an RHES 4.x self reboot?
>
> And is there any command to check this threshold temperature & the current
> server's temperature so that I can write a script to alert me before it
> reaches the threshold & reboot (which will cause service disruption) :
>
> Below are messages log showing high temp which has caused one outage
>
> Oct 23 04:10:19 localhost hpasmd[6106]: WARNING: hpasmd: System
> Overheating
> (Zone 2, Location CPU, Temperature 80C)
<snip>
Urk! I really don't think you want to increase the temp; rather, you need
to find out why it's getting so hot and remedy that. Were you going to
increase it 20C, so that you could boil water for tea?

Are one or more fans out? Has the room a/c failed, or is intermittent?
What's wrong?

mark

Old 10-28-2010, 03:47 PM
sunhux G

> to find out why it's getting so hot and remedy that.
It's been years that servers in this rack doesn't have any heat or
blown parts issue till a few days ago, 2 other servers in this rack
blew their Power Supply Unit. I'm suspecting the smoke from the
blown PSU could have been siphoned into a couple other servers
which triggered another PSU failure early this morning & this
Linux box to self-reboot (perhaps it siphoned it some smoke)

>Are one or more fans out? Has the room a/c failed, or is intermittent?
Nope, it's generally 19 Celcius & all other servers in other racks are Ok.

Old 10-29-2010, 03:02 PM
Fran Garcia

On Thu, Oct 28, 2010 at 15:55, sunhux G <sunhux@gmail.com> wrote:
> Is there any way to increase the threshold before an RHES 4.x self reboot?
>
> And is there any command to check this threshold temperature & the current
> server's temperature so that I can write a script to alert me before it
> reaches
> the threshold & reboot (which will cause service disruption) :

This is an HP Proliant question, rather than a RHEL question :-) . I'd
suggest reading all the Proliant Support Pack (PSP) software
documentation, and having a look at:

# hplog -t
ID TYPE LOCATION STATUS CURRENT THRESHOLD
1 ADM1022 Processor Zone Normal 87F/ 31C 143F/ 62C
2 ADM1022 CPU (1) Normal 86F/ 30C 163F/ 73C
3 ADM1022 I/O Zone Normal 100F/ 38C 154F/ 68C
4 ADM1022 CPU (2) Normal 89F/ 32C 163F/ 73C
5 ADM1022 Pwr. Supply Bay Normal 84F/ 29C 127F/ 53C

# hplog -f
ID TYPE LOCATION STATUS REDUNDANT FAN SPEED
1 Var. Speed Processor Zone Normal Yes Low ( 14)
2 Var. Speed Processor Zone Normal Yes Low ( 14)
3 Var. Speed I/O Zone Absent No Unknown
4 Var. Speed I/O Zone Normal Yes Low ( 14)
5 Var. Speed Processor Zone Normal Yes Low ( 14)
6 Var. Speed Processor Zone Normal Yes Low ( 14)
7 Var. Speed Pwr. Supply Bay Normal Yes Low ( 14)
8 Var. Speed Pwr. Supply Bay Absent No Unknown

# hplog -p
ID TYPE LOCATION STATUS REDUNDANT
1 Standard Pwr. Supply Bay Normal Yes
2 Standard Pwr. Supply Bay Normal Yes

# hpasmcli -s 'show iml'

If you have it installed, try poking around in the System Management
Homepage (HP SMH), https://yourserver:2381

Cheers

Old 10-30-2010, 12:01 PM
sunhux G