Old 10-22-2010, 03:48 PM
Dave Martini

Default iSCSI and how clients access/mount the volumes

We're thinking of purchasing an iSCSI device something
similar to the HP P2000 G3 to be access by RHEL 5 clients.

My understanding is that when an initiator (client) talks to the
target iSCSI server to get a connection to a LUN the initiator sees the
LUN as a raw iSCSI hard drive. So it doesn't mount it as an NFS volume.

Would I then use the tools in the client like fdisk and or mkfs.ext3
to create a file system on it so it can be mounted on the client?

Please let me know if this is correct.

Thank you
Dave Martini
LLNL

Old 10-22-2010, 04:05 PM
Stephen Gilbert

Yes, once it is configured for iscsi, all block level tools like fdisk and
mke2fs should work just as if it was a local drive.