Old 10-19-2010, 04:10 PM
ESGLinux

Default I canīt see my disks on /dev

Hi All,

I have a RHEL server and I have a strange problem with my disks.

First I have two disks in RAID1 (hardware). I see the raid device as
/dev/sda.

I have plugged two new disks but I donīt have made a RAID with them. If I
reboot the machine I see the four disks detected but I donīt get a device
asociated to the new disks.
If I make dmesg I see the four disks, but if I make fdisk -l I only see
/dev/sda,

Why canīt I see the new disks?

any help ?

Thanks in advance

ESG

Old 10-19-2010, 04:49 PM

ESGLinux wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> I have a RHEL server and I have a strange problem with my disks.
>
> First I have two disks in RAID1 (hardware). I see the raid device as
> /dev/sda.
>
> I have plugged two new disks but I donīt have made a RAID with them. If I
> reboot the machine I see the four disks detected but I donīt get a device
> asociated to the new disks.
> If I make dmesg I see the four disks, but if I make fdisk -l I only see
> /dev/sda,
>
> Why canīt I see the new disks?
<snip>
Ah, right. Let me guess: a PERC controller, or some hardware HBA? Are all
of the drives on the HBA bus? Based on my recent experience with Dell
boxen with PERC (6 and 7) controllers, you cannot see a drive until you
create it at least as a virtual drive of RAID 0.

*sigh*

mark

Old 10-20-2010, 07:35 AM
ESGLinux

Hi,

I think you are rigth, (PERC 6/i)

Iīm going to make another virtual disk (I already have one) and check if the
devices appears,

Thanks,

ESG

Old 10-20-2010, 03:45 PM
ESGLinux

HI Again,

I have make what you did,

I make a virtual disk and then run this command:
echo "- - -" > /sys/class/scsi_host/host0/scan

and now I have the dev /dev/sdb,

Thaks a lot for your help,

ESG