Old 10-15-2010, 09:38 AM
Euan de Boer

Default Multiple IP bindings on bonded network interface

Hi,

Sorry if this posts twice (first posting seems stuck awaiting admin
approval).

I am looking at binding 64 IP addresses to a Redhat 5 server with dual
NIC's. I have followed this guide:
http://www.xenocafe.com/tutorials/linux/redhat/bind_multiple_ip_addresses_to_single_nic/index.phpand
am able to successfully bind the IP's to the eth0 and eth1, however I
would like to be able to bind them to my bonded interface bond0 to ensure
redundancy.

My bond0 is as follows:

# bonded interface for production
DEVICE=bond0
BOOTPROTO=static
ONBOOT=yes
IPADDR=192.168.1.1
NETMASK=255.255.255.0
BONDING_OPTS="mode=4 miimon=10"

When I create a bond0:0 containing one of the additional IP's like this:

DEVICE=bond0:0
BOOTPROTO=static
ONBOOT=yes

IPADDR=192.168.1.2

NETMASK=255.255.255.0

and restart networking the interface does not come up. Manually attempting
to bring the interface up with if config gives me the following error:

ifconfig bond0:0 up
SIOCSIFFLAGS: Cannot assign requested address

bond0 itself is completely working, however I just can't seem to add the
additional aliases with my extra IP addresses.

Does anyone know if what I am trying to do is supported, and if it is, where
I am going wrong?

I have googled this extensively today and have not found anything that
explains if this is actually possible, or how to do it, so any ideas are
very welcome!

Thanks,

Euan.

Old 10-15-2010, 10:38 AM
Fran Garcia

Hi Euan,

a couple of comments :

* Alias interfaces cannot be "upped", ie you cannot ifconfig xxx:0 up
(hence you get the "Cannot assign requested address" message). Issuing
a "ifconfig xxx:0 11.22.33.44" will do fine.

* Once you have defined the config file, the right command to activate
the interface is "ifup xxx:0" .

* You might want to add the "ONPARENT" attribute to the alias config
files, such as :

# cat ifcfg-eth1:1
DEVICE=eth1:1
ONPARENT=yes
BOOTPROTO=static
IPADDR=172.16.192.5
NETMASK=255.255.255.0

Cheers

Old 03-01-2011, 03:56 PM
Monty wig

I have kind of similar issue. I am trying to assign multiple IP address to a
machine with a single NIC and I did follow the instructions from RH. Below
are my network files from /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts...

ifcfg-eth0
============
DEVICE=eth0
NM_CONTROLLED=yes
ONBOOT=yes
HWADDR=00:1C:25:70:06:89
TYPE=Ethernet
BOOTPROTO=none
DEFROUTE=yes
PEERDNS=no
IPADDR=192.168.1.103
NETMASK=255.255.255.0
PEERROUTES=yes
IPV4_FAILURE_FATAL=yes
IPV6INIT=no
NAME="System eth0"
USERCTL=no

ifcfg-eth0:1
==============
DEVICE=eth0:1
ONPARENT=yes
BOOTPROTO=static
IPADDR=192.168.1.119
NETMASK=255.255.255.0
TYPE=Ethernet
IPV6INIT=no
USERCTL=no

Now when I try to bring up the NIC using "ifup eth0:1" - It brings eth0:1 up
but brings down eth0. Basically it brings only one of them at a time and no
matter which IP is up, "ip addr show" output shows only eth0 even if IP of
eth0:1 is up!! I am on RH6...Has anyone seen this behavior?

Thanks
Monty

On Fri, Oct 15, 2010 at 5:38 AM, Euan de Boer

Old 03-01-2011, 06:08 PM
Romeo Theriault

On Wed, Mar 2, 2011 at 1:56 AM, Monty wig <montywig@gmail.com> wrote:
> I have kind of similar issue. I am trying to assign multiple IP address to a
> machine with a single NIC and I did follow the instructions from RH. Below
> are my network files from /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts...
>
> ifcfg-eth0
> ============
> DEVICE=eth0
> NM_CONTROLLED=yes
> ONBOOT=yes
> HWADDR=00:1C:25:70:06:89
> TYPE=Ethernet
> BOOTPROTO=none
> DEFROUTE=yes
> PEERDNS=no
> IPADDR=192.168.1.103
> NETMASK=255.255.255.0
> PEERROUTES=yes
> IPV4_FAILURE_FATAL=yes
> IPV6INIT=no
> NAME="System eth0"
> USERCTL=no
>

> ifcfg-eth0:1
> ==============
> DEVICE=eth0:1
> ONPARENT=yes
> BOOTPROTO=static
> IPADDR=192.168.1.119
> NETMASK=255.255.255.0
> TYPE=Ethernet
> IPV6INIT=no
> USERCTL=no
>
> Now when I try to bring up the NIC using "ifup eth0:1" - It brings eth0:1 up
> but brings down eth0. Basically it brings only one of them at a time and no
> matter which IP is up, "ip addr show" output shows only eth0 even if IP of
> eth0:1 is up!! I am on RH6...Has anyone seen this behavior?

Here is what I have on a RHEL5 system with no issues:

ifcfg-eth0:0:

DEVICE=eth0:0
BOOTPROTO=static
ONBOOT=yes
IPADDR=130.111.16.171
NETMASK=255.255.255.0
NETWORK=130.111.16.0
NAME=eth0:0

You might want to get rid of your "TYPE" entry on the alias interface
as well as the IPV6INIT and USERCTL. They get inherited from the
parent interface. I'd start your alias interface at eth0:0 too.

Let us know if that helps.

Romeo

Old 03-01-2011, 06:15 PM
Monty wig

I changed interface to eth0:0 and removed additional lines as you suggested
but still the same thing...it brings only one IP at a time...

Old 03-01-2011, 06:21 PM
Romeo Theriault

On Wed, Mar 2, 2011 at 4:15 AM, Monty wig <montywig@gmail.com> wrote:
> I changed interface to eth0:0 and removed additional lines as you suggested
> but still the same thing...it brings only one IP at a time...

You getting anything useful in the logs? or errors in general. You
might also want to try to bring up the interfaces manually and see
what the system says then. e.g. ifconfig eth0:1 192.168.1.119 netmask
255.255.255.0 broadcast 192.168.1.255 up

--
Romeo Theriault

Old 03-01-2011, 06:33 PM
Monty wig

I can bring it up manually but not using ifup...

Old 03-01-2011, 06:34 PM
Monty wig

Forgot to mention that nothing useful in the logs....

Old 03-01-2011, 06:50 PM
Barry Brimer

> > On Wed, Mar 2, 2011 at 4:15 AM, Monty wig <montywig@gmail.com> wrote:
> > > I changed interface to eth0:0 and removed additional lines as you
> > suggested
> > > but still the same thing...it brings only one IP at a time...

Make sure that all of the directives that you're using in your ifcfg-* files
appear in /usr/share/doc/initscripts-*/sysconfig.txt

Barry

Old 03-01-2011, 06:52 PM
Monty wig

Seems like it worked this time and NIC alias stayed up after reboot.

So the sequence was...

Configured a ifcfg-eth0:0 file and brought up the interface manually using
Romeo's command and rebooted the system. It will be good if ifup works but
maybe it has a bug or I am doing something wrong...

Thanks for the help anyways
Monty