Old 10-14-2010, 11:52 PM
Dave Martini

Default syslog server entries showing IP instead of hostname

I'm using stock syslogd server on RHEL 5 and my server his this daemon
running:

root 7852 1 0 16:02 ? 00:00:00 syslogd -m 0 -r -x

My clients have

*.* @syslogserver

in their /etc/syslog.conf

My logs show the IP address for it's entries.
Is it possible to have the entries display the
hostname?

Thanks.
Dave Martini
LLNL

Old 10-15-2010, 05:29 AM
Romeo Theriault

On Fri, Oct 15, 2010 at 8:52 AM, Dave Martini <martini1@llnl.gov> wrote:
> I'm *using stock syslogd server on RHEL 5 and my server his this daemon
> running:
>
> root * * *7852 * * 1 *0 16:02 ? * * * *00:00:00 syslogd -m 0 -r -x

Try starting the syslogd daemon on the server without the "-x" option.
That option disables name lookups.

Romeo