Old 10-14-2010, 06:08 PM
Gary E Barnes

Default RHELv4 and v5 - So slow as to be unusable. (Solved)

The symptoms were that anywhere from 10 minutes to 10 hours after
rebooting a RHELv4 or RHELv5 machine (one that previous ran RHELv3 with no
problems) would get "slow". Where "slow" means anything up to 30 seconds
to respond to any command typed that has not just previously executed and
a reboot/halt/shutdown would never complete (not even overnight). Other
symptoms were that the system clock would seemingly "stop"---what actually
was happening is that time moved forward for several seconds, then
suddenly would jump backwards several seconds at once.

The problem was something in the BIOS. Flashing the affected machines
with a newer version of the BIOS fixes the problem.

To anyone with IBM ThinkCentre 8187 machines, if your BIOS isn't the
latest (2005) version then upgrading would be a good idea if you ever
intend to run Linux on those boxes.
We have eight of those machines. The two running the oldest version
(2003) would not run RHELv4 properly. Others with the 2004 and 2005
versions were OK.

Thank you everyone for your suggestions. This time it wasn't NFS (usually
is), or NTP (sometimes), or even I/O handling (rare). It was the
"hardware".

Gary

Old 10-14-2010, 07:06 PM
Matty Sarro

Thanks for posting the followup; a lot of people never bother to Very
much appreciated and noted.

Old 10-15-2010, 07:58 PM
Yong Huang

> The problem was something in the BIOS. Flashing the affected
> machines with a newer version of the BIOS fixes the problem.
>
> To anyone with IBM ThinkCentre 8187 machines, if your BIOS isn't the

Thanks Gary for posting the solution. Do you happen to have the list of
bug fixes of the new BIOS? If yes, do you know specifically which bug
was it? If it takes you more than 5 minutes to answer this, don't worry
about it. Thanks.

Yong Huang

Old 10-15-2010, 08:26 PM
Gary E Barnes

Unfortunately I do not know. There is a change list for the latest
version but not the versions before that. The most recent fixed some
problem with MAC addresses which probably is not my problem.

Gary

Old 10-16-2010, 10:01 AM
Mohammad Zakaria

Congratulations!