Old 10-12-2010, 09:12 PM

Default FC14, brief rant

The team is a bunch of inbred nitwits. I rebuilt a box, completely, last
week. I just ran a yum update, and rebooted. Then I went down two floors,
and into a server room, and logged on.

chkconfig --list network reports *OFF*

mark "it's a good thing they don't have spouses,
people that dumb shouldn't interbreed...
or maybe they should go work for M$"

Old 10-13-2010, 02:58 AM
Tom H

On Tue, Oct 12, 2010 at 5:12 PM, <m.roth@5-cent.us> wrote:

> The team is a bunch of inbred nitwits. I rebuilt a box, completely, last
> week. I just ran a yum update, and rebooted. Then I went down two floors,
> and into a server room, and logged on.
>
> chkconfig --list network reports *OFF*

is probably a more appropriate list for your rant, although they might
not take kindly to your words.

Old 10-13-2010, 11:28 AM
"Stainforth, Matthew (SD/DS)"

> > The team is a bunch of inbred nitwits. I rebuilt a box, completely,
> last
> > week. I just ran a yum update, and rebooted. Then I went down two
> floors,
> > and into a server room, and logged on.
> >
> > chkconfig --list network reports *OFF*

> is probably a more appropriate list for your rant, although they might
> not take kindly to your words.

I'm not sure any list is appropriate for unprofessional personal attacks. I wouldn't consider them, or the people who make them, welcome here or anywhere else.

Old 10-13-2010, 11:43 AM
mark

Stainforth, Matthew (SD/DS) wrote:

The team is a bunch of inbred nitwits. I rebuilt a box, completely,

last week. I just ran a yum update, and rebooted. Then I went down two
floors, and into a server room, and logged on.

chkconfig --list network reports *OFF*

is probably a more appropriate list for your rant, although they might
not take kindly to your words.

I'm not sure any list is appropriate for unprofessional personal
attacks. I wouldn't consider them, or the people who make them, welcome
here or anywhere else.

Um, and do you consider an install and/or upgrade of Linux that turns
*off* networking "professional"?

mark

--
"Nuclear physicists speak of five fundamental forces:
weak, strong, electromagnetic, gravity, and duct tape."

Old 10-13-2010, 11:47 AM
Hike

On Oct 13, 2010, at 7:28 AM, "Stainforth, Matthew (SD/DS)" <Matthew.Stainforth@gnb.ca> wrote:

>>> The team is a bunch of inbred nitwits. I rebuilt a box, completely,
>> last
>>> week. I just ran a yum update, and rebooted. Then I went down two
>> floors,
>>> and into a server room, and logged on.
>>>
>>> chkconfig --list network reports *OFF*

>> is probably a more appropriate list for your rant, although they might
>> not take kindly to your words.
>>

> I'm not sure any list is appropriate for unprofessional personal attacks. I wouldn't consider them, or the people who make them, welcome here or anywhere else.

Give the guy a break. He's frustrated and he has no one to complain to at work. He probably isn't married (a la, "geek") so he can't complain to his wife. He shouldn't rant to us but it is much better than calling the nitwits names and getting fired. Tell him not to do it again and let it go.

Old 10-13-2010, 01:54 PM
Tom H

On Wed, Oct 13, 2010 at 7:43 AM, mark <m.roth@5-cent.us> wrote:

>>> last week. I just ran a yum update, and rebooted. Then I went down two
>>> floors, and into a server room, and logged on.

>>> is probably a more appropriate list for your rant, although they might
>>> not take kindly to your words.
>>
>> I'm not sure any list is appropriate for unprofessional personal
>> attacks. I wouldn't consider them, or the people who make them, welcome
>> here or anywhere else.
>>
> Um, and do you consider an install and/or upgrade of Linux that turns *off*
> networking "professional"?

I've just checked my F14 install.

"chkconfig --list network" reports "off" but "chkconfig --list
NetworkManager" reports "on"...

Old 10-13-2010, 02:41 PM

Hike wrote:

>>> is probably a more appropriate list for your rant, although they might
>>> not take kindly to your words.
>>
>> I'm not sure any list is appropriate for unprofessional personal
>> attacks. I wouldn't consider them, or the people who make them, welcome
>> here or anywhere else.
>
> Give the guy a break. He's frustrated and he has no one to complain to at

I can, but nobody here has a clue why.

> work. He probably isn't married (a la, "geek") so he can't complain to

Sorry, been married more than once, though my ladyfriend wouldn't get this
one.

> his wife. He shouldn't rant to us but it is much better than calling the
> nitwits names and getting fired. Tell him not to do it again and let it
> go.

Ok, I'm sorry, I shouldn't have suggested they all go work at M$.

mark

Old 10-13-2010, 05:20 PM
"Mike Burger"

>>> I'm not sure any list is appropriate for unprofessional personal
>>> attacks. I wouldn't consider them, or the people who make them, welcome
>>> here or anywhere else.
>>>
>> Um, and do you consider an install and/or upgrade of Linux that turns
>> *off*
>> networking "professional"?
>
> I've just checked my F14 install.
>
> "chkconfig --list network" reports "off" but "chkconfig --list
> NetworkManager" reports "on"...

That explains it. Can't have both set to on.

NetworkManager works best, IMO, when you're using DHCP or (even more
importantly) when you're using WiFi. If you're running a server, I feel
it's better to disable the NetworkManager service and enable the network
service.

--
Mike Burger
http://www.bubbanfriends.org