Old 09-30-2010, 03:30 PM
Matty Sarro

Default Silly bootup question

Hey everyone,
When a RHEL system is booting, in the messages you can see "Switching to new
root." Can someone explain this part of the bootup process? What exactly is
meant by "new root," is it simply another shell starting or what?
-Matthew

Old 09-30-2010, 03:44 PM
Stephen Gilbert

Unless I miss my guess, I'd say what's happening is, when the computer first
starts booting, it uses the /boot partition as its root. Once it has enough
software loaded to understand the actual / partition, it switches the root
partition to be the actual /.

On Thu, Sep 30, 2010 at 11:30 AM, Matty Sarro <msarro@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hey everyone,
> When a RHEL system is booting, in the messages you can see "Switching to
> new
> root." Can someone explain this part of the bootup process? What exactly is
> meant by "new root," is it simply another shell starting or what?
> -Matthew

Stephen Gilbert
RHCE - 804006953620491

Old 09-30-2010, 03:46 PM

Matty Sarro wrote:
> Hey everyone,
> When a RHEL system is booting, in the messages you can see "Switching to
> new root." Can someone explain this part of the bootup process? What
exactly
> is meant by "new root," is it simply another shell starting or what?

If I undestand it correctly, when you boot, a whole filesystem is created
in memory from the ramdisk (initrd). Once enough of the system is up to
understand the h/d, the real /, from disk, is mounted, and root changes
from the boot's ramdisk / to that.

mark

Old 09-30-2010, 03:53 PM
"Mike Burger"

> Hey everyone,
> When a RHEL system is booting, in the messages you can see "Switching to
> new
> root." Can someone explain this part of the bootup process? What exactly
> is
> meant by "new root," is it simply another shell starting or what?
> -Matthew

Hi, Matthew.

When an RHEL (or any other Linux) boots, it starts up from a RAMdisk (see
/boot/initrd*), which contains enough of a filesystem grouping to boot the
system and perform initialization.

At a certain point, it goes ahead and mounts your actual root (/)
filesystem, at which point it spits out that message.

--
Mike Burger
http://www.bubbanfriends.org

Visit the Dog Pound II BBS