FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
» Video Reviews

» Linux Archive

Linux-archive is a website aiming to archive linux email lists and to make them easily accessible for linux users/developers.


» Sponsor

» Partners

» Sponsor

Go Back   Linux Archive > Redhat > Red Hat Linux

 
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
 
Old 09-23-2010, 04:39 PM
Matty Sarro
 
Default Weird ethernet port behavior

Hey everyone. I'm having a weird issue right now with a network port and I
don't know what to make of it.
We are using on an automated provisioning system to deploy RHEL5 on to an HP
DL360 G6 server. The server has two ethernet ports (broadcom netextreme2),
as well as an additional 2 port NIC (intel e1000e).

Eth0 and eth2 are bonded using the bonding module. This physically equates
to the two left most ports. These both work fine, and the bonding drive is
working like gangbusters.

Eth1 is configured to connect to a secondary network. Eth3 is disabled
(onboot=no in /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-eth3).

Here are the contents of the ifcfg-eth1 and ifcfg-eth3 files:
eth1
DEVICE=eth1
BOOTPROTO=static
ONBOOT=yes
NETWORK=10.253.163.224
NETMASK=255.255.255.224
IPADDR=10.253.163.242
USERCTL=no

eth3
DEVICE=eth3
USERCTL=no
ONBOOT=no
BOOTPROTO=dhcp

After the bonded pair, we have two ethernet ports left. When we attempt to
plug in what SHOULD be eth1 and restart network services, it gets no
connectivity. After rebooting, when you run ethtool eth1 it shows that eth1
has no link. Running ethtool on eth3 shows that it DOES have link.

Now if we move the cable to the other open port and reboot, running ethtool
on eth1 again shows no link, but link on eth3.

What's even weirder are that the eth1 and eth3 ports are on different
network cards - 1 on the netextreme, the other on the e1000e.

Its like the eth3 designation seems to be following the cable, even though
we have the port disabled. This is the last hitch in the process and I'm
racking my brain trying to figure it out. Any help would be very much
appreciated.

-Matthew
--
redhat-list mailing list
unsubscribe mailto:redhat-list-request@redhat.com?subject=unsubscribe
https://www.redhat.com/mailman/listinfo/redhat-list
 
Old 09-23-2010, 04:56 PM
 
Default Weird ethernet port behavior

Matty Sarro wrote:
> Hey everyone. I'm having a weird issue right now with a network port and I
> don't know what to make of it.
<snip>
> Eth1 is configured to connect to a secondary network. Eth3 is disabled
> (onboot=no in /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-eth3).
>
> Here are the contents of the ifcfg-eth1 and ifcfg-eth3 files:
> eth1
> DEVICE=eth1
> BOOTPROTO=static
> ONBOOT=yes
> NETWORK=10.253.163.224
> NETMASK=255.255.255.224
> IPADDR=10.253.163.242
> USERCTL=no
>
> eth3
> DEVICE=eth3
> USERCTL=no
> ONBOOT=no
> BOOTPROTO=dhcp
>
> After the bonded pair, we have two ethernet ports left. When we attempt to
> plug in what SHOULD be eth1 and restart network services, it gets no
> connectivity. After rebooting, when you run ethtool eth1 it shows that
> eth1 has no link. Running ethtool on eth3 shows that it DOES have link.
<snip>
Sounds like it's related to the old Redhat thing that a multihomed system
didn't necessarily get the same name, unless you put the MAC address in
there.
HWADDR=<MAC address>

You might try that and see if it works.

mark

--
redhat-list mailing list
unsubscribe mailto:redhat-list-request@redhat.com?subject=unsubscribe
https://www.redhat.com/mailman/listinfo/redhat-list
 
Old 09-23-2010, 05:19 PM
Matty Sarro
 
Default Weird ethernet port behavior

Trying it now, problem is it has to be automated so I have to start from
scratch. Will report back afterwards. Going to try specifying them in the
ifcfg files, and if that doesn't work I'll try adding udev rules.

Blah, this script is getting incredibly and annoyingly complex, lol.

On Thu, Sep 23, 2010 at 12:56 PM, <m.roth@5-cent.us> wrote:

> Matty Sarro wrote:
> > Hey everyone. I'm having a weird issue right now with a network port and
> I
> > don't know what to make of it.
> <snip>
> > Eth1 is configured to connect to a secondary network. Eth3 is disabled
> > (onboot=no in /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-eth3).
> >
> > Here are the contents of the ifcfg-eth1 and ifcfg-eth3 files:
> > eth1
> > DEVICE=eth1
> > BOOTPROTO=static
> > ONBOOT=yes
> > NETWORK=10.253.163.224
> > NETMASK=255.255.255.224
> > IPADDR=10.253.163.242
> > USERCTL=no
> >
> > eth3
> > DEVICE=eth3
> > USERCTL=no
> > ONBOOT=no
> > BOOTPROTO=dhcp
> >
> > After the bonded pair, we have two ethernet ports left. When we attempt
> to
> > plug in what SHOULD be eth1 and restart network services, it gets no
> > connectivity. After rebooting, when you run ethtool eth1 it shows that
> > eth1 has no link. Running ethtool on eth3 shows that it DOES have link.
> <snip>
> Sounds like it's related to the old Redhat thing that a multihomed system
> didn't necessarily get the same name, unless you put the MAC address in
> there.
> HWADDR=<MAC address>
>
> You might try that and see if it works.
>
> mark
>
> --
> redhat-list mailing list
> unsubscribe mailto:redhat-list-request@redhat.com?subject=unsubscribe
> https://www.redhat.com/mailman/listinfo/redhat-list
>
--
redhat-list mailing list
unsubscribe mailto:redhat-list-request@redhat.com?subject=unsubscribe
https://www.redhat.com/mailman/listinfo/redhat-list
 
Old 09-23-2010, 05:59 PM
Matty Sarro
 
Default Weird ethernet port behavior

After adding the HWADDR line to each of the ifcfg-* files, it looks like
eth1 is staying put. However, even though its unplugged eth3 shows that
there is link detected when running ethtool? There's definitely nothing
connected.

On Thu, Sep 23, 2010 at 1:19 PM, Matty Sarro <msarro@gmail.com> wrote:

> Trying it now, problem is it has to be automated so I have to start from
> scratch. Will report back afterwards. Going to try specifying them in the
> ifcfg files, and if that doesn't work I'll try adding udev rules.
>
> Blah, this script is getting incredibly and annoyingly complex, lol.
>
>
> On Thu, Sep 23, 2010 at 12:56 PM, <m.roth@5-cent.us> wrote:
>
>> Matty Sarro wrote:
>> > Hey everyone. I'm having a weird issue right now with a network port and
>> I
>> > don't know what to make of it.
>> <snip>
>> > Eth1 is configured to connect to a secondary network. Eth3 is disabled
>> > (onboot=no in /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-eth3).
>> >
>> > Here are the contents of the ifcfg-eth1 and ifcfg-eth3 files:
>> > eth1
>> > DEVICE=eth1
>> > BOOTPROTO=static
>> > ONBOOT=yes
>> > NETWORK=10.253.163.224
>> > NETMASK=255.255.255.224
>> > IPADDR=10.253.163.242
>> > USERCTL=no
>> >
>> > eth3
>> > DEVICE=eth3
>> > USERCTL=no
>> > ONBOOT=no
>> > BOOTPROTO=dhcp
>> >
>> > After the bonded pair, we have two ethernet ports left. When we attempt
>> to
>> > plug in what SHOULD be eth1 and restart network services, it gets no
>> > connectivity. After rebooting, when you run ethtool eth1 it shows that
>> > eth1 has no link. Running ethtool on eth3 shows that it DOES have link.
>> <snip>
>> Sounds like it's related to the old Redhat thing that a multihomed system
>> didn't necessarily get the same name, unless you put the MAC address in
>> there.
>> HWADDR=<MAC address>
>>
>> You might try that and see if it works.
>>
>> mark
>>
>> --
>> redhat-list mailing list
>> unsubscribe mailto:redhat-list-request@redhat.com?subject=unsubscribe
>> https://www.redhat.com/mailman/listinfo/redhat-list
>>
>
>
--
redhat-list mailing list
unsubscribe mailto:redhat-list-request@redhat.com?subject=unsubscribe
https://www.redhat.com/mailman/listinfo/redhat-list
 
Old 09-23-2010, 06:31 PM
 
Default Weird ethernet port behavior

Matty Sarro wrote:
> On Thu, Sep 23, 2010 at 1:19 PM, Matty Sarro <msarro@gmail.com> wrote:
>> On Thu, Sep 23, 2010 at 12:56 PM, <m.roth@5-cent.us> wrote:
>>> Matty Sarro wrote:
>>> > Hey everyone. I'm having a weird issue right now with a network port
>>> and I don't know what to make of it.
>>> <snip>
>>> > Eth1 is configured to connect to a secondary network. Eth3 is
>>> > disabled (onboot=no in /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-eth3).
>>> >
>>> > Here are the contents of the ifcfg-eth1 and ifcfg-eth3 files:
<snip>
>>> > After the bonded pair, we have two ethernet ports left. When we
>>> > attempt to
>>> > plug in what SHOULD be eth1 and restart network services, it gets no
>>> > connectivity. After rebooting, when you run ethtool eth1 it shows that
>>> > eth1 has no link. Running ethtool on eth3 shows that it DOES have link.
>>> <snip>

>> Trying it now, problem is it has to be automated so I have to start from
>> scratch. Will report back afterwards. Going to try specifying them in
>> the ifcfg files, and if that doesn't work I'll try adding udev rules.
>>
>>> Sounds like it's related to the old Redhat thing that a multihomed
>>> system didn't necessarily get the same name, unless you put the MAC
address in
>>> there.
>>> HWADDR=<MAC address>
>>>
>>> You might try that and see if it works.
>>>
> After adding the HWADDR line to each of the ifcfg-* files, it looks like
> eth1 is staying put. However, even though its unplugged eth3 shows that
> there is link detected when running ethtool? There's definitely nothing
> connected.
>
Glad to hear it got you up. No idea on the other... maybe something with
udev on its way up.

mark, who's dealing with *no* a/c in a tiny server room, and folks
using it, and a building engineer that hasn't been heard
from since my manager put in the trouble ticket....

--
redhat-list mailing list
unsubscribe mailto:redhat-list-request@redhat.com?subject=unsubscribe
https://www.redhat.com/mailman/listinfo/redhat-list
 

Thread Tools




All times are GMT. The time now is 04:26 AM.

VBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO ©2007, Crawlability, Inc.
Copyright 2007 - 2008, www.linux-archive.org