Old 09-16-2010, 05:55 PM
Devarishi Kumar Mahadeva

Default Automation of Administrative Tasks on an RHEL Box

Hi All,

Here is a good scenario of Automation of Administrative Tasks (it was presented
before me in an interview at a Defense Department, Navy):

Design a Web Interface using PHP (we can use Perl also) that has fields for:

IP Address, Default Gateway, Subnet Mask, etc. and when the values are submitted
the Linux Server (RHEL) should be able to process the request and change the
Network information accordingly and restart the Network Services. (It it
noteworthy that such a Web Interface is to be used on an Intranet and is for
testing purpose only, we really do not intend to invite any security
vulnerabilities by allowing anyone to change the Network Settings.)

The only point here is how to get a (CGI-)Script (PHP or Perl) be able to
perform the tasks of an Administrator, i.e. execute commands that only the root
user or a user with some root privileges can issue.

We can easily pass values to a PHP / Perl or even to a Shell Script program on
the server.... in /var/www/cgi-bin or /var/www/html directories. But how will it
run with the root privileges?

With regards,

Devarishi Kumar Mahadeva.

(UNIX Application Support)