Old 09-10-2010, 05:36 PM
"Doll, Margaret Ann"

Default Hardware Problem with a USB device port

I had a totally mysterious problem involving one
of the mounted partitions: an external USB RAID.
I was logged into the ge233 account last night
and everything was fine; when I came in this
morning and did an ls this is what I got:

.../class4/ge233> ls
ls: reading directory .: Input/output error

When I checked for the device file (/dev/sdb1) it was
totally gone. I rebooted and got the following msg
on reboot:
usb 1-6: device descriptor read/64, error -110

and
Resource Conflict - PCI mass storage controller in slot 01
Bus:04, Device:00, Function:00

The first few times to reboot failed, even when I dropped into
run level 0 and tried to fsck /dev/sdb1. It just wasn;t there.
I finally plugged the drive into a different USB slot and it
worked ok.
But this was all very alarming. I couldn't find anything in
the log files which indicated a fault, nor in dmesg.

Any thoughts?

1. Where can I find more information about the error.? I assume that this
is a hardware error with the USB port.
2. If this is a software error, how can I get the storage controller in
working order?

Thanks.

1.

Old 09-10-2010, 05:57 PM

Doll, Margaret Ann wrote:
> I had a totally mysterious problem involving one
> of the mounted partitions: an external USB RAID.
<snip>
No idea of the answer... but here's a related question: USB RAID? Unless
it's USB 3, it's going to be *very* slow for i/o. Literally, over the last
two days, I went to shred a disk. Using an external USB for the drive,
after something like an hour and a half, it had gotten up to 2% done on
the first pass. Once I had a slot free in an eSATA docking station, it was
over 7% in less than two *minutes*, which is several orders of magnitude
faster. An eSATA card is not real expensive, and the docking stations are
on the order of $40-$50, and performance will *massively* get better.

mark