Old 09-09-2010, 11:56 PM
"Ata Amiri"

Default Booting up without the IDE CD-ROM fails

Hello:

After Installing RHEL3 on a system that has one SATA HDD, from a borrowed
IDE CD-ROM, I could boot fine. As soon as I remove the CD-ROM drive, I
can't boot the system anymore. When I reconnect the CD-ROM again, all is
well. I have looked at the boot.log, messages, and dmesg to get an accurate
account of the problem, but I can't recognize anything that points to the
problem.

I think when the CD-ROM is removed, the system looks at the wrong (device,
partition) to boot from - should look for "sda", but looks for "hda" instead
?

I am using an Intel 865G motherboard - when I reboot, I get a message from
Kudzu regarding the Ide Interface Controller: "Intel |82801EB Ultra ATA
Stroage Controller has been removed". I have tried "remove", "configure",
"igore". no difference. This controller, allows for PATA/SATA devices to
co-exist. Does that confuse Linux?

Things I have tried:

I have configured BIOS, where the IDE assignments can be selected:

When On-Chip IDE Devices setting is set to "AUTO", boots up ok, but when the
CD-ROM is disconnected, boot fails.

When On-Chip IDE Devices setting is set to "SATA Only", w or w/o CD-ROM
connected, boot fails.

The grub.conf is as follows. (I have tried passing some kernel variables as
suggested in online forums, none has helped):

Title Red Hat Enterprise Linux WS (2.4.21-4.EL)

Root (hd0,0)

Kernel /vmlinuz-2.4.21-4.EL ro root=LABEL=/

Initrd /initrd-2.4.21-4.EL.img

Here is the bottom portion of the boot messages:

PCI: Found IRQ 11 ofr device 00:1f.2

Ata: 0x11f0 IDE port busy

Ata1: SATA max UDMA/133 cmd 0x170 ctl 0x376 bmdma 0xF008 irq 15

ATA: abnormal status 0x7F on port 0x177

ATA: abnormal status 0x7F on port 0x177

Ata1: thread exiting

Scsi0: ata_piix

Starting timer: 0 0

Journalled Block Device driver loaded

Mounting /proc filesystem

Creating block devices

Creating root device

Mounting root filesystem

Mount: error 6 mounting ext3

pivotroot: pivot_root(/sysroot, /sysroot/initrd) failed: 2

umount /initrd/proc failed: 2

Freeing unused kernel memory: 164k freed

Kernel panic: No init found. Try passing init= option to kernel

I appreciate any help.

Thanks,

Ata

Old 09-10-2010, 01:33 PM

Hey, there,

Ata Amiri wrote:

> After Installing RHEL3 on a system that has one SATA HDD, from a borrowed

First question: why RHEL3? The current is RHEL 5.5 (I think - we use
CentOS). 3, in fact, is going out of support in a month or two (I know,
becuase we have one person running a 3.x, because he has collaborators
around the world who are running very old stuff, and don't seem to be
willing to upgrade, and I got the email notice a while back).

> IDE CD-ROM, I could boot fine. As soon as I remove the CD-ROM drive, I
> can't boot the system anymore. When I reconnect the CD-ROM again, all is
> well. I have looked at the boot.log, messages, and dmesg to get an
> accurate account of the problem, but I can't recognize anything that points
> to the problem.
<snip>
I think your clues are here:

> PCI: Found IRQ 11 ofr device 00:1f.2
> Ata: 0x11f0 IDE port busy
> Ata1: SATA max UDMA/133 cmd 0x170 ctl 0x376 bmdma 0xF008 irq 15
> ATA: abnormal status 0x7F on port 0x177
> ATA: abnormal status 0x7F on port 0x177
<snip>
> Mounting root filesystem
> Mount: error 6 mounting ext3
> pivotroot: pivot_root(/sysroot, /sysroot/initrd) failed: 2
> umount /initrd/proc failed: 2
> Kernel panic: No init found. Try passing init= option to kernel

Something's wrong on the h/d: it *says* SATA's gagging. Is it bootable?
Did grub or lilo get installed? My first reaction would be to bring up
linux rescue, and fsck -c (check for bad blocks), and let that run
overnight (well, how big's the drive?), then reinstall grub or lilo, then,
last resort, reinstall... and I would absolutely install something five or
six years newer.

mark