Old 09-02-2010, 05:15 PM
Matty Sarro

Default Using YUM to update to a certain errata level?

Hey all,
After exploring the yum and yum.conf man pages I'm surprised to see that
there doesn't seem to be a way to do this. Is it possible to set yum to only
update to a certain point in time? For instance, to install all errata up to
a certain point in time? This way all servers/workstations can be deployed
with the same packages. I'm trying to avoid using custom channels for now.
Basically a command along the lines of:
yum update errata09022010

-Matthew

Old 09-02-2010, 05:32 PM
"Stainforth, Matthew (SD/DS)"

> Hey all,
> After exploring the yum and yum.conf man pages I'm surprised to see
> that
> there doesn't seem to be a way to do this. Is it possible to set yum to
> only
> update to a certain point in time? For instance, to install all errata
> up to
> a certain point in time?

During a support ticket I asked about this very functionality and was told there is no way to accomplish this automatically. I use RHN manually to queue up and schedule the updates. Here was my question:

--------
In order to use yum, I would need to find a way to apply "all updates issued before date X" or "all errata up to errata #Y" so that production systems don't end up with errata issued later than what's on dev and test tiers. If there is a way to do that? I didn't see anything in the yum manpage that lets you pick a date when I glanced quickly through it.
--------

And here is what Support said:

--------
...so far, I haven't found a method for doing what you want to do other than with the --bz, --advisory, or --cve options, and even that wouldn't work in conjunction with RHN. [...]it looks like your best solution with yum would be to use a script to have yum download plugins with the --bz, --cve, or --advisory. The script would pull the bug numbers or security advisory numbers and plug them into a yum command similar to "yum --downloadonly --cve $i". This would allow you to make one download of the necessary patched packages and apply them in any manner you like.