Old 08-27-2010, 01:19 AM
mark

Default label printer supported by cups on RHEL?

Furnish, Trever G wrote:

Can anyone recommend a good label printer that's compatible with RHEL
(cups)?

Lessee, OpenOffice will print labels, and glabel will even print barcodes...
and this is to a std. LaserJet with label paper.

<snip>
mark

Old 08-27-2010, 01:47 AM
"Furnish, Trever G"

Thanks -- that's not quite my application though -- that's using sheets
of labels printed en masse, whereas I need to print labels one at a time
in an industrial environment and do it about one every 20 seconds 9
hours per day. And I need to send the print from Oracle apps, not from
OOO.

Old 08-27-2010, 02:17 AM
"Marti, Robert"

His point was it can be done using cupsd etc. You said you were
having problems getting it working, but I don't think you ever
described the actual problem.

Sent from my iPhone

Old 08-27-2010, 03:10 AM
mark

Furnish, Trever G wrote:

Thanks -- that's not quite my application though -- that's using sheets
of labels printed en masse, whereas I need to print labels one at a time
in an industrial environment and do it about one every 20 seconds 9
hours per day. And I need to send the print from Oracle apps, not from
OOO.

glabels has a batch mode (glabels-batch), and it can print one or many.

mark

Can anyone recommend a good label printer that's compatible with RHEL
(cups)?

Lessee, OpenOffice will print labels, and glabel will even print
barcodes...
and this is to a std. LaserJet with label paper.

<snip>
mark

Just because you're paranoid doesn't mean you don't have real enemies.

Old 08-27-2010, 03:20 AM
Kenneth Kirchner

On Aug 26, 2010, at 6:10 PM, Furnish, Trever G wrote:

> Can anyone recommend a good label printer that's compatible with RHEL
> (cups)?

I have no first hand knowledge of how well they work, but it looks like the Dymo brand of label writers are at least interested enough in Linux to be working on drivers. A quick Google of 'linux dymo" returned quite a few links and even forums where people were claiming success with getting cups to print to one.

http://forums.linux-foundation.org/read.php?33,120

I hope that is useful to you.

-KK

Old 08-27-2010, 12:08 PM

redhat-list-bounces@redhat.com wrote on 08/26/2010 10:20:40 PM:

> From: Kenneth Kirchner <ken@kirchners.com>
> To: General Red Hat Linux discussion list <redhat-list@redhat.com>
> Date: 08/26/2010 10:25 PM
> Subject: Re: label printer supported by cups on RHEL?
> Sent by: redhat-list-bounces@redhat.com
>

> On Aug 26, 2010, at 6:10 PM, Furnish, Trever G wrote:
>
> > Can anyone recommend a good label printer that's compatible with RHEL
> > (cups)?
>
> I have no first hand knowledge of how well they work, but it looks
> like the Dymo brand of label writers are at least interested enough
> in Linux to be working on drivers. A quick Google of 'linux dymo"
> returned quite a few links and even forums where people were
> claiming success with getting cups to print to one.
>
> http://forums.linux-foundation.org/read.php?33,120
>
> I hope that is useful to you.
>
> -KK

Read the helps section in CUPS, htmlview https://localhost:631
there is a whole helps page on all the command line options you can use.
The printer.conf file lets you list each printer the server will talk to.
You can also get more print drivers

The Hewlett-Packard Linux Imaging and Printing Project provides drivers for
HP printers and multi-function peripherals.
hplip-1.6.7-4.1.el5_2.4.x86_64.rpm

Old 08-27-2010, 01:18 PM
hike

On Fri, Aug 27, 2010 at 8:08 AM, <Phebe_Mertes@aotx.uscourts.gov> wrote:

> redhat-list-bounces@redhat.com wrote on 08/26/2010 10:20:40 PM:
>
> > From: Kenneth Kirchner <ken@kirchners.com>
> > To: General Red Hat Linux discussion list <redhat-list@redhat.com>
> > Date: 08/26/2010 10:25 PM
> > Subject: Re: label printer supported by cups on RHEL?
> > Sent by: redhat-list-bounces@redhat.com
> >

> > On Aug 26, 2010, at 6:10 PM, Furnish, Trever G wrote:
> >
> > > Can anyone recommend a good label printer that's compatible with RHEL
> > > (cups)?
> >
> > I have no first hand knowledge of how well they work, but it looks
> > like the Dymo brand of label writers are at least interested enough
> > in Linux to be working on drivers. A quick Google of 'linux dymo"
> > returned quite a few links and even forums where people were
> > claiming success with getting cups to print to one.
> >
> > http://forums.linux-foundation.org/read.php?33,120
> >
> > I hope that is useful to you.
> >
> > -KK
>

> Read the helps section in CUPS, htmlview https://localhost:631
> there is a whole helps page on all the command line options you can use.
> The printer.conf file lets you list each printer the server will talk to.
> You can also get more print drivers
>
> The Hewlett-Packard Linux Imaging and Printing Project provides drivers for
> HP printers and multi-function peripherals.
> hplip-1.6.7-4.1.el5_2.4.x86_64.rpm

CUPS has a number of free drivers included in the package.
The publisher of CUPS sells drivers for some printers not included in the
free package.
The publisher can write/create drivers for specific printers.
You can write your own drivers.
Actually, I think they are called printer description files (or something
other then drivers).
In the old BSD days, writing a printer description was part of sysadmin
work.
I have written printer descriptions for xerox laser printers that were not
in the free package.
The biggest problem is finding the documentation--or enough so that you can
"trial and error" the printer to figure out what you need.
It can be interesting or tedious--regardless, it is good experience.

Old 08-27-2010, 09:18 PM
"Furnish, Trever G"

Thanks. I think "the publisher of CUPS" is now Apple though, and that
they no longer sell this service...?

Do you know something I don't in that respect?

Old 08-27-2010, 11:20 PM
hike

On Fri, Aug 27, 2010 at 5:18 PM, Furnish, Trever G <TGFurnish@herffjones.com
> wrote:

Then look at project's website, " http://www.cups.org/ ". There is a
developer's section that has lots of information and their is a forum
section to check out.
If you can find the previous publisher, we may be able to find the group
that has all the drivers and/or could write.
It is evident that more people are using CUPS and more resources are "out
there".
Apple may have the drivers for your printer in OS X. You may be able to use
those.
It never hurts to investigate and research--you get paid to do sysadmin
work, right?