Old 08-27-2010, 01:10 AM
"Furnish, Trever G"

Default label printer supported by cups on RHEL?

Can anyone recommend a good label printer that's compatible with RHEL
(cups)?

We are migrating a very large system to RHEL, and the system prints to
nearly a hundred different network printers. We have already gone a
long ways down the path (too far to turn back), but we now realize we
have a problem in that we aren't able to successfully print to any label
printers. We do a large volume of our own shipping using labels printed
from Oracle, so this is actually a significant problem.

The label originates on Linux -- we can't really change that. I've come
up with some other ideas for how to get the labels to a printer serviced
by a spooler on Windows, but I would very much prefer to send straight
from the local cupsd spooler to the printer using a network print server
like a jetdirect (which we've been trying to do so far without success),
or to send from the local cups to a printer on a remote cupsd with the
printer attached via usb or something like that, not fight with
cross-platform problems.

Seems hard to believe no one else is doing label printing from Linux.
There's even potentially a consulting opportunity for someone who can
get it working quickly...

--
Trever Furnish
Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from Unix.