Old 08-19-2010, 07:36 AM
Priyadarshini

Default CLI for serial number or tag for BIOS

what file or command can be used to get information that can represent
unique ID for BIOS installed, it could be serial number or some tag or build
id.

I used "/usr/sbin/dmidecode | egrep -i 'BIOS Information' -A 20" command, it
shows some information about BIOS but not any information that can be used
as ID.

I tried using command "vpddecode" but it does not give required output on
linux boxes:

# vpddecode
# vpddecode 2.9
# No VPD structure found, sorry.

Please let me know hopw to get this info.

Thanks.

Old 08-19-2010, 08:25 AM
"Kannan, Mouli"

Hi,

Below Url might help u.

http://www.cyberciti.biz/tips/querying-dumping-bios-from-linux-command-p
rompt.html

Thanks,
Mouli N

Old 08-19-2010, 10:14 AM
"Carl T. Miller"

Priyadarshini wrote:
> what file or command can be used to get information that can represent
> unique ID for BIOS installed, it could be serial number or some tag or
> build
> id.
>
> I used "/usr/sbin/dmidecode | egrep -i 'BIOS Information' -A 20" command,
> it
> shows some information about BIOS but not any information that can be used
> as ID.

Instead of "BIOS Information" grep the "System Information".
That serial number will likely be unique. For Dell systems
it has the service tag number.

If you just want the number, run: dmidecode -s system-serial-number

Old 08-19-2010, 11:52 AM
mark

Priyadarshini wrote:

what file or command can be used to get information that can represent
unique ID for BIOS installed, it could be serial number or some tag or build
id.

I used "/usr/sbin/dmidecode | egrep -i 'BIOS Information' -A 20" command, it
shows some information about BIOS but not any information that can be used
as ID.

<snip>
I've used lshw, but we have a number of servers whose BIOS serial number
*literally* reads "to be filled in by the manufacturer"

mark

--
Hon. Pres. Medvedev,

If Russia still has labor camps in Siberia, might there be room in them for
a number of gentleman we have here, who have been working on Wall St.....