Old 08-06-2010, 04:33 AM
Joy Methew

Default Start X

Hello all,
i m running startx & command on my remote server by ssh -X
ip address.

it`s showing this error i need to see my desktop on remote server. please
help me to find out the problem.

startx &
[1] 13892
root@server [~]# xauth: creating new authority file /root/.serverauth.13892

_XSERVTransSocketINETCreateListener: ...SocketCreateListener() failed
_XSERVTransMakeAllCOTSServerListeners: server already running

Fatal server error:
Cannot establish any listening sockets - Make sure an X server isn't already
running
Xlib: Invalid MIT-MAGIC-COOKIE-1 key
giving up.
xinit: unable to connect to X server
xinit: No such process (errno 3): Server error.

thanks

Old 08-06-2010, 04:49 AM
Prajish S

> Hello all,
> i m running startx & command on my remote server by ssh -X
> ip address.
>
> it`s showing this error i need to see my desktop on remote server. please
> help me to find out the problem.
>
> startx &
> [1] 13892
> root@server [~]# xauth: creating new authority file
> /root/.serverauth.13892
>
> _XSERVTransSocketINETCreateListener: ...SocketCreateListener() failed
> _XSERVTransMakeAllCOTSServerListeners: server already running
>
> Fatal server error:
> Cannot establish any listening sockets - Make sure an X server isn't
> already
> running

its trying to start X on 0.0. which means your ssh -X is not setting the
display variable.
echo $DISPLAY and see if it is set.
If yes, try invoking an xterm or mozilla to check if the X11 forwarding is
working.

> Xlib: Invalid MIT-MAGIC-COOKIE-1 key
> giving up.
> xinit: unable to connect to X server
> xinit: No such process (errno 3): Server error.
>

> thanks

*Prajish S*
*Tweet me @Prajish <http://twitter.com/Prajish>*

Old 08-06-2010, 06:00 AM
Joy Methew

Thanks for reply

out put of echo $DISPLAY
:0.0

out put of firefox is:

Xlib: No protocol specified

Xlib: No protocol specified

Error: cannot open display: :0.0

Old 08-06-2010, 06:29 AM
Prajish S

On Fri, Aug 6, 2010 at 11:30 AM, Joy Methew <ml4joy@gmail.com> wrote:

> Thanks for reply
>
> out put of echo $DISPLAY
> :0.0
>
> 0.0 is the display address of the default X session.
the number should be 10.0 or above.
Which means the X11 forwarding isn't functioning.

Old 08-06-2010, 10:40 AM
Joy Methew

yes it`s showing 0:0

how i can change plz suggest.