-   -   installing packages remotely without Yum (http://www.linux-archive.org/red-hat-linux/407562-installing-packages-remotely-without-yum.html)

"Yard, John" 08-02-2010 06:36 PM

installing packages remotely without Yum

A Red Hat system, AS Release 4 Nahant Update 8 ,
was installed at a physically distant site using
the 4.5.0 install cd s.

The installer did not install a large number of
packages , which must be installed for consistency with
analogous servers.

The installer did not install the package that included yum.
Red Hat tech support tells me it is not possible to
install the packages in a supported fashion.

Without these packages I cannot procedure. Are there any
viable options for installing these packages ?

JYard
UCLA

Laszlo Beres 08-02-2010 06:49 PM

On Mon, Aug 2, 2010 at 8:36 PM, Yard, John <jyard@ais.ucla.edu> wrote:

> The installer did not install the package that included yum.
> Red Hat tech support tells me it is not possible to
> install the packages in a supported fashion.

You surely misunderstood something. As soon as your system is
registered to Red Hat Network, you can install packages using up2date
command. There is no yum before RHEL 5, but up2date is absolutely
supported and recommended way of installation/update.

--
László Béres* * * * * * Unix system engineer
http://www.google.com/profiles/beres.laszlo

"Marti, Robert" 08-02-2010 06:56 PM

installing packages remotely without Yum

RHEL 4 doesn't use yum. Register the box with RHN and use up2date.

Sent from my iPhone

"chaim rieger" 08-02-2010 06:57 PM

installing packages remotely without Yum

Rpm -ivh the yum packages

"Yard, John" 08-02-2010 07:36 PM

installing packages remotely without Yum

I am referring to groups of packages as referenced
in anaconda or system-config-packages.

If you invoke system-config-pages and want to
install the @ editors group , it asked you for the cd s ,
which I have no access to. The system is 400 miles away.

I believe that to use rpm , I would need to know correctly
the names of hundreds of rpm s , sounds extremely
error prone ,

JYard
UCLA

"Marti, Robert" 08-02-2010 07:43 PM

installing packages remotely without Yum

It sounds like the system isn't registered with RHN. Register it then install whatever you want.

Rob Marti

"chaim rieger" 08-02-2010 07:55 PM

installing packages remotely without Yum

Then mount an nfs export (look into amazon s3)

Laszlo Beres 08-02-2010 07:57 PM

On Mon, Aug 2, 2010 at 9:36 PM, Yard, John <jyard@ais.ucla.edu> wrote:

> I am referring to groups of packages as referenced
> in anaconda or system-config-packages.

up2date has package group support: you can list them using
--show-groups option and install this way:

up2date -i "@GNOME"

> If you invoke system-config-pages and want to
> install the @ editors group , it asked you for the cd s ,
> which I have no access to. The system is 400 miles away.

That's because your system is not registered yet. Do it!

> I believe that to use rpm , I would need to know correctly
> the names of hundreds of rpm s , sounds extremely
> error prone ,

Not necessarily, up2date has --showall option, too, which displays all
available packages.

"Carl T. Miller" 08-02-2010 10:02 PM

installing packages remotely without Yum

John, the only command that wasn't mentioned is rhn_register.
Just run that and fill in the blanks to register your system.
After that you can run up2date as described in other messages.

Good luck!