Old 07-27-2010, 05:31 AM
"Michael P. Carel"

Default How to boot when changing Bios SATA-IDE to SATA-AHCI

Hi to all;

Can anyone help me on how can I change my bootloader when changing Server Bios from SATA-IDE to SATA-AHCI. I'm having problem with my disk that hangs everytime it detected this error occured in dmesg:

hda: status timeout: status=0xd0 { Busy }
ide: failed opcode was: unknown
hda: no DRQ after issuing MULTWRITE_EXT
ide0: reset: success

Changing to SATA-AHCI won't boot the server since it cannot find the disk.

Current grub.conf:

#boot=/dev/hda
default=0
timeout=5
splashimage=(hd0,0)/grub/splash.xpm.gz
hiddenmenu
title Red Hat Enterprise Linux Server (2.6.18-8.el5)
root (hd0,0)
kernel /vmlinuz-2.6.18-8.el5 ro root=/dev/VolGroup00/LogVol00 pci=nommco
nf rhgb quiet
initrd /initrd-2.6.18-8.el5.img

Thanks in advance.

Mike

Old 07-28-2010, 11:56 AM
surendra kumar

Dear

do re-install grub
Thanks
surendra kumar
+91 9838049896

Old 07-28-2010, 02:45 PM
Dustin Larmeir

Make sure your kernel has AHCI support. If it does not then you will have
issues like this. I would revert back to the old settings, boot the system,
then check for AHCI support - If it is not there recompile the kernel to
explicitly have AHCI support. and try again. - Dustin