Old 07-10-2010, 05:13 AM
Raj Har

Default Dos attack on SSH

Hello all,
i want stop DOS attack(like limited IP address or limited
users can access my ssh server {for users i know allowusers option}) on SSH
service by ssh configure file not by iptables.
Is there any option in ssh please update me.

I need same thing in apache web server i want limited users can access my
website.

Thanks

Old 07-10-2010, 06:22 AM
Tanweer Noor

use /etc/hosts.allow option for ssh and for Apache check your httpd.conf
file for options.

~Tanweer

On Fri, Jul 9, 2010 at 10:13 PM, Raj Har <raj4list@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hello all,
> i want stop DOS attack(like limited IP address or limited
> users can access my ssh server {for users i know allowusers option}) on SSH
> service by ssh configure file not by iptables.
> Is there any option in ssh please update me.
>
> I need same thing in apache web server i want limited users can access my
> website.
>
> Thanks

~ Tanweer
----

Old 07-10-2010, 09:56 AM
"Z.Steven.Schofield"

hi:

On Sat, Jul 10, 2010 at 14:22, Tanweer Noor <tanweer.noor@gmail.com> wrote:

> use /etc/hosts.allow option for ssh and for Apache check your httpd.conf
> file for options.
>

> ~Tanweer
>
> On Fri, Jul 9, 2010 at 10:13 PM, Raj Har <raj4list@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > Hello all,
> > i want stop DOS attack(like limited IP address or limited
> > users can access my ssh server {for users i know allowusers option}) on
> SSH
> > service by ssh configure file not by iptables.
> > Is there any option in ssh please update me.
> >
> > I need same thing in apache web server i want limited users can access my
> > website.
> >
> > Thanks
> > --

> ~ Tanweer
> ----

1. enable SSH on an unusual port such as 2222.It's simply and very
effective.
2. disable password login, use PubkeyAuthentication

regards

Old 07-10-2010, 01:47 PM
Jeff

You can also use something like denyhosts (http://denyhosts.sf.net). I use
it on one of my public facing hosts and it works really well - it will
automatically add IPs to hosts.deny after a configurable number of failed
logins.

Jeff

Old 07-10-2010, 10:38 PM
Dustin Larmeir

Another option is BFD http://www.rfxn.com/projects/brute-force-detection/

Dustin

Old 07-10-2010, 10:42 PM
Dustin Larmeir

For Apache, use mod_evasive. This will deny connections when a user exceeds
a preset number of connections. If you want to restrict access to ssh for
your IP address only, tcpwrappers would be an idea also ( I should have
mentioned that in my previous email)

Old 07-12-2010, 01:03 AM
mark

Tanweer Noor wrote:

use /etc/hosts.allow option for ssh and for Apache check your httpd.conf
file for options.

fail2ban.

mark

~Tanweer

i want stop DOS attack(like limited IP address or limited
users can access my ssh server {for users i know allowusers option}) on SSH
service by ssh configure file not by iptables.
Is there any option in ssh please update me.

I need same thing in apache web server i want limited users can access my
website.

Thanks

We must make clear to the Germans that the wrong for which their fallen
leaders are on trial is not that they lost the war, but that they started
it. And we must not allow ourselves to be drawn into a trial of the causes
of the war for our position is that no grievances or policies will justify
resort to aggressive war. It is utterly renounced and condemned as an
instrument of policy. - U.S. Supreme Court Justice Robert Jackson, U.S.
representative to the International Conference on Military Trials, Aug. 12, 1945.

Old 07-12-2010, 04:13 PM
"Tim Van Dyne"

>Tanweer Noor wrote:
>> use /etc/hosts.allow option for ssh and for Apache check your
httpd.conf
>> file for options.
>>
>fail2ban.
> mark
Denyhosts is what I've used for a few years. Works great & fills up the
/etc/hosts.deny file.

Although like stated above using a block-first policy with added allows
in the hosts.allow file you wouldn't need another app. Changing the
SSHD port to something else like 222 actually drops breakin attempts
down to nothing obviously because they're scanning for 22 and don't even
pick you up most of the time.