Old 07-08-2010, 08:14 AM
ESGLinux

Default how to configure mail command to use a specific mail server?

Hi all,

I have a doubt,

When I use the mail command from the console the mail is delivered using the
local postfix. How can I configure this command to use a specific mail
server?

I have a postfix running in other machine and I want that the client
machines uses this server as outgoing server (configure it with other mail
clients like thunderbird is trivial)

Thanks in advance,

ESG

Old 07-08-2010, 09:56 AM
"Mike Burger"

> When I use the mail command from the console the mail is delivered using
> the
> local postfix. How can I configure this command to use a specific mail
> server?
>
> I have a postfix running in other machine and I want that the client
> machines uses this server as outgoing server (configure it with other mail
> clients like thunderbird is trivial)
>
> Thanks in advance,

I don't belive that there is a way. The mail command comes with Postfix
(or sendmail, or qmail, or...).

The most that I believe you an do is to configure the local postfix to use
the other server as a "smart relay".
--
Mike Burger
http://www.bubbanfriends.org

Visit the Dog Pound II BBS

or send a blank email message to:

site-update-subscribe@bubbanfriends.org

Old 07-08-2010, 11:44 AM
ESGLinux

thanks Mike,

I agree with you because I canīt find a way to do it

Greetings

ESG

Old 07-08-2010, 03:29 PM
Adam Miller

I wrote a small python script that satifies this need because there was a
case where I needed similar functionality. I can't promise much and its
somewhat primitive but if you have requests for change in functionality I
will gladly make changes. I meant to actually implement most of the features
of the mail command and then package and release the code/script but never
got around to it. Maybe this will jump start that

https://fedorahosted.org/pymail/browser/pymail

-AdamM (From Android)

Old 07-09-2010, 07:50 AM
ESGLinux

Thanks Adam,

Iīll try it,

one question, i need to pass user and pass, and I think this script doesnīt
support it, does it?

Thanks again for your time,

ESG

Old 07-09-2010, 06:13 PM
Eugene Jansen van Rensburg

Hi there,

I use "sendEmail" for exactly this. It is absolutely brilliant. I don't
think the mail command will be of great use.

Find it here, its a single perl script that you can copy to your /bin/.
directory for easy access.
http://caspian.dotconf.net/menu/Software/SendEmail/

Hope it helps!
--

*Eugene Jansen van Rensburg*
eMail: eugenejvr@gmail.com

*"Quit is NOT an option"*

Old 07-14-2010, 09:57 AM
ESGLinux

Hi Eugene,

I have been busy with other problems and I couldnīt try it,

Now I have tested and it works just as I want,

A very usefull script.

Thank you very much

ESG