Old 07-07-2010, 07:52 PM
inode0

Default where is uudecode in RHEL6 Beta?

On Wed, Jul 7, 2010 at 2:44 PM, Ray Van Dolson <rvandolson@esri.com> wrote:
> On Wed, Jul 07, 2010 at 12:35:21PM -0700, fred smith wrote:
>> I've dug thru every RPM in both the Workstation and Server ISO images
>> of RHEL6 beta2 and none of them contains a package containing uudecode.
>>
>> * * cd Packages
>> * * for i in *.rpm; do rpm -qlp $i | grep uudecode; done 2>/dev/null
>>
>> returns one emacs component and 3 man pages, but no binary.
>>
>> Is there some OTHER tool that is now being shipped in place of uuencode/
>> uudecode?
>>
>> Clues appreciated.
>>
>> Thanks!
>
> Don't have a RHEL6 install handy, but try 'sharutils'.

Yeah, in the optional repo.

John

Old 07-07-2010, 10:16 PM
Dag Wieers

On Wed, 7 Jul 2010, fred smith wrote:

On Wed, Jul 07, 2010 at 03:50:51PM -0400, R P Herrold wrote:

On Wed, 7 Jul 2010, fred smith wrote:

Is there some OTHER tool that is now being shipped in place of uuencode/
uudecode?

openssl

sorry, but I don't see how openssl can substitute for uudecode. I just
did a rpm -qlp against the openssl package and there's no uudecode
hiding therein, either. figured it wouldn't hurt to look...

I think Russ meant using:

openssl base64 -in <file>

The openssl tool can be used in many useful ways, it's not just a library
package.

--
-- dag wieers, dag@wieers.com, http://dag.wieers.com/ --

Old 07-08-2010, 12:21 AM
fred smith

On Thu, Jul 08, 2010 at 12:16:19AM +0200, Dag Wieers wrote:
> On Wed, 7 Jul 2010, fred smith wrote:

> >>openssl
> >
> >sorry, but I don't see how openssl can substitute for uudecode. I just
> >did a rpm -qlp against the openssl package and there's no uudecode
> >hiding therein, either. figured it wouldn't hurt to look...
>
> I think Russ meant using:
>
> openssl base64 -in <file>
>
> The openssl tool can be used in many useful ways, it's not just a library
> package.

Dag, I woulda never thought of that in a million years!

Doing that lets me ENcode a file, but so far I haven't figured out
how to use it to DEcode a file, which is really what I want most.
Any more clues for the clueless (me)??

The eyes of the Lord are everywhere,
keeping watch on the wicked and the good.
----------------------------- Proverbs 15:3 (niv) -----------------------------

Old 07-08-2010, 08:31 AM
Dag Wieers

Is there some OTHER tool that is now being shipped in place of uuencode/
uudecode?

openssl

sorry, but I don't see how openssl can substitute for uudecode. I just
did a rpm -qlp against the openssl package and there's no uudecode
hiding therein, either. figured it wouldn't hurt to look...

I think Russ meant using:

openssl base64 -in <file>

The openssl tool can be used in many useful ways, it's not just a library
package.

Dag, I woulda never thought of that in a million years!

Doing that lets me ENcode a file, but so far I haven't figured out
how to use it to DEcode a file, which is really what I want most.
Any more clues for the clueless (me)??

There is a help for each of the commands, but I don't know how to activate
it properly, if you type --help it will show you (and complain that help
is not a valid command

In any case, to 'decrypt' you can use -d like:

openssl base64 -in /etc/passwd | openssl base64 -d

The help output is shown for each command, you can try:

openssl base64 --help

Now I wouldn't say this is a complete replacement for uuencode/uudecode,
but you can write a wrapper that provides the exact same output, or can
handle typical markers as input.

I use openssl most frequently for:

openssl passwd -1
or openssl passwd -apr1

Kind regards,
--
-- dag wieers, dag@wieers.com, http://dag.wieers.com/ --

Old 07-08-2010, 10:58 AM
fred smith

On Wed, Jul 07, 2010 at 02:52:59PM -0500, inode0 wrote:
> On Wed, Jul 7, 2010 at 2:44 PM, Ray Van Dolson <rvandolson@esri.com> wrote:
> > On Wed, Jul 07, 2010 at 12:35:21PM -0700, fred smith wrote:
> >> I've dug thru every RPM in both the Workstation and Server ISO images
> >> of RHEL6 beta2 and none of them contains a package containing uudecode.
> >>
> >> * * cd Packages
> >> * * for i in *.rpm; do rpm -qlp $i | grep uudecode; done 2>/dev/null
> >>
> >> returns one emacs component and 3 man pages, but no binary.
> >>
> >> Is there some OTHER tool that is now being shipped in place of uuencode/
> >> uudecode?
> >>
> >> Clues appreciated.
> >>
> >> Thanks!
> >
> > Don't have a RHEL6 install handy, but try 'sharutils'.
>
> Yeah, in the optional repo.

Ah. THERE it is. Thanks!

The Lord detests the way of the wicked

Old 07-08-2010, 02:30 PM