Old 07-07-2010, 07:35 PM
fred smith

Default where is uudecode in RHEL6 Beta?

I've dug thru every RPM in both the Workstation and Server ISO images
of RHEL6 beta2 and none of them contains a package containing uudecode.

cd Packages
for i in *.rpm; do rpm -qlp $i | grep uudecode; done 2>/dev/null

returns one emacs component and 3 man pages, but no binary.

Is there some OTHER tool that is now being shipped in place of uuencode/
uudecode?

Clues appreciated.

Thanks!

Old 07-07-2010, 07:44 PM
Ray Van Dolson

On Wed, Jul 07, 2010 at 12:35:21PM -0700, fred smith wrote:
> I've dug thru every RPM in both the Workstation and Server ISO images
> of RHEL6 beta2 and none of them contains a package containing uudecode.
>
> cd Packages
> for i in *.rpm; do rpm -qlp $i | grep uudecode; done 2>/dev/null
>
> returns one emacs component and 3 man pages, but no binary.
>
> Is there some OTHER tool that is now being shipped in place of uuencode/
> uudecode?
>
> Clues appreciated.
>
> Thanks!

Don't have a RHEL6 install handy, but try 'sharutils'.

Ray

Old 07-07-2010, 07:50 PM
R P Herrold

Is there some OTHER tool that is now being shipped in place of uuencode/
uudecode?

openssl

Old 07-07-2010, 07:57 PM
fred smith

On Wed, Jul 07, 2010 at 12:44:55PM -0700, Ray Van Dolson wrote:
> On Wed, Jul 07, 2010 at 12:35:21PM -0700, fred smith wrote:
> > I've dug thru every RPM in both the Workstation and Server ISO images
> > of RHEL6 beta2 and none of them contains a package containing uudecode.
> >
> > cd Packages
> > for i in *.rpm; do rpm -qlp $i | grep uudecode; done 2>/dev/null
> >
> > returns one emacs component and 3 man pages, but no binary.
> >
> > Is there some OTHER tool that is now being shipped in place of uuencode/
> > uudecode?
> >
> > Clues appreciated.
> >
> > Thanks!
>
> Don't have a RHEL6 install handy, but try 'sharutils'.

Nope. there is no such package on either ISO image. that was my
first guess, since that's where it has traditionally been.

Old 07-07-2010, 07:58 PM
fred smith

On Wed, Jul 07, 2010 at 03:50:51PM -0400, R P Herrold wrote:
> On Wed, 7 Jul 2010, fred smith wrote:
>
> >Is there some OTHER tool that is now being shipped in place of uuencode/
> >uudecode?
>
> openssl

sorry, but I don't see how openssl can substitute for uudecode. I just
did a rpm -qlp against the openssl package and there's no uudecode
hiding therein, either. figured it wouldn't hurt to look...

Fred

community.
--Roger Ebert, December, 1996

Old 07-07-2010, 08:06 PM
Ray Van Dolson

On Wed, Jul 07, 2010 at 12:57:19PM -0700, fred smith wrote:
> On Wed, Jul 07, 2010 at 12:44:55PM -0700, Ray Van Dolson wrote:
> > On Wed, Jul 07, 2010 at 12:35:21PM -0700, fred smith wrote:
> > > I've dug thru every RPM in both the Workstation and Server ISO images
> > > of RHEL6 beta2 and none of them contains a package containing uudecode.
> > >
> > > cd Packages
> > > for i in *.rpm; do rpm -qlp $i | grep uudecode; done 2>/dev/null
> > >
> > > returns one emacs component and 3 man pages, but no binary.
> > >
> > > Is there some OTHER tool that is now being shipped in place of uuencode/
> > > uudecode?
> > >
> > > Clues appreciated.
> > >
> > > Thanks!
> >
> > Don't have a RHEL6 install handy, but try 'sharutils'.
>
> Nope. there is no such package on either ISO image. that was my
> first guess, since that's where it has traditionally been.

Hmm, what about doing a:

yum provides *uudecode

?

Old 07-07-2010, 08:11 PM
Ray Van Dolson

On Wed, Jul 07, 2010 at 01:06:41PM -0700, Ray Van Dolson wrote:
> On Wed, Jul 07, 2010 at 12:57:19PM -0700, fred smith wrote:

> > > Don't have a RHEL6 install handy, but try 'sharutils'.
> >
> > Nope. there is no such package on either ISO image. that was my
> > first guess, since that's where it has traditionally been.
>
> Hmm, what about doing a:
>
> yum provides *uudecode
>
> ?

I guess this would be redundant to what you've already tried really.
Didn't read closely enough.

I'm going to set up a RHEL6 box and check this out. Perhaps uudecode
will be a candidate for EPEL6.

Ray

Old 07-07-2010, 08:13 PM
inode0

On Wed, Jul 7, 2010 at 3:06 PM, Ray Van Dolson <rvandolson@esri.com> wrote:
> On Wed, Jul 07, 2010 at 12:57:19PM -0700, fred smith wrote:

>> > Don't have a RHEL6 install handy, but try 'sharutils'.
>>
>> Nope. there is no such package on either ISO image. that was my
>> first guess, since that's where it has traditionally been.
>
> Hmm, what about doing a:
>
> *yum provides *uudecode

One more time - it is in the optional repo, enable it and enjoy new packages.

John