Old 07-02-2010, 04:03 PM
Nicosia Gaetano

Default A problem with a simbolic link

Hi to All,

In RHEL5, I use ttyS0 for modem and I have create this simbolic link:

ln -s /dev/ttyS0 /dev/modem

The link is correctly created eand work fine; but if I restart the
server the link is deleted.

How can to create this link permanently ?

Thank You and best regards
Gaetano

Old 07-02-2010, 05:38 PM
Joshua Gimer

On Fri, Jul 2, 2010 at 10:03 AM, Nicosia Gaetano <
nicosia.gaetano@moonsoft.it> wrote:

> Hi to All,
>
> In RHEL5, I use ttyS0 for modem and I have create this simbolic link:
>
> ln -s /dev/ttyS0 /dev/modem
>
> The link is correctly created eand work fine; but if I restart the server
> the link is deleted.
>
> How can to create this link permanently ?
>
> Thank You and best regards
> Gaetano
> <https://www.redhat.com/mailman/listinfo/redhat-list>

This is due to udev recreating everything in /dev at system boot. You can
create a udev rule to create the symlink at boot.

Edit your /etc/udev/rules.d/50-udev.rules and somewhere after the line that
has 'KERNEL=="tty[pqrstuvwxyzabcdef][0123456789abcdef]"' add a line that
contains the following:

KERNEL=="ttyS0", SYMLINK+="modem"

This should cause the symlink to be created at boot. Be careful to maintain
permissions and structure on all udev rules files as you can cause some real
headaches for yourself if they become corrupted.

--
Thanks,
Joshua Gimer