Old 06-30-2010, 12:41 AM
"James D. Parra"

Default cli admin tool

Hello,

Its been a while since I used a redhat system and I am wondering what is the admin tool that can be run from command line to admin the network or various other services? I thought it was linuxconf, but, since that tool is old, I guess there is something else now. There is no X server on this machine and the UI that I am thinking of is a tab driven red & blue interface. Sorry if the details are a bit lacking.

Thanks for your help.

James

Old 06-30-2010, 12:53 AM
"Paul M. Whitney"

Try Webmin. It is not part of a default install but will suit you well.

Paul M. Whitney
RHCT, VCP
Sr. Systems Engineer
Worldwide Information Network Systems
email: whitneyp@winsnetworks.com
cell: 410.493.9448
Pager: 1051178@skytel.com

Old 06-30-2010, 12:54 AM
"Carl T. Miller"

James D. Parra wrote:
> Its been a while since I used a redhat system and I am wondering what is
> the admin tool that can be run from command line to admin the network or
> various other services? I thought it was linuxconf, but, since that tool
> is old, I guess there is something else now. There is no X server on this
> machine and the UI that I am thinking of is a tab driven red & blue
> interface. Sorry if the details are a bit lacking.

Try running: yum search system-config

The system-config-* commands provide both gui and text
based interfaces. If there are two versions of a package,
such as system-config-network and system-config-network-tui,
choose the tui (text user interface) version.

Old 06-30-2010, 12:55 AM
Stephen Gilbert

Try the system-config scripts. Such as system-config-network They'll run
in a GUI if you have a GUI loaded, or in an ncurses based interface if you
don't.

On Tue, Jun 29, 2010 at 8:41 PM, James D. Parra <jamesp@musicreports.com>wrote:

> Hello,
>
> Its been a while since I used a redhat system and I am wondering what is
> the admin tool that can be run from command line to admin the network or
> various other services? I thought it was linuxconf, but, since that tool is
> old, I guess there is something else now. There is no X server on this
> machine and the UI that I am thinking of is a tab driven red & blue
> interface. Sorry if the details are a bit lacking.
>
> Thanks for your help.
>
> James

Stephen Gilbert
RHCE - 804006953620491

Old 06-30-2010, 01:02 AM
"Marti, Robert"

Or... Completely ignore webmin, cpanel, and other junk like that.

I don't know of any ncurses (the red and blue tab driven interface)
interface like you're talking about. I just use chkconfig.

Sent from my iPhone

Old 06-30-2010, 04:58 AM
Adam Miller

I'm with Rob on this one, the web based admin tools are more headache than
they are worth. Just use the system-config-* utilities.

-AdamM (From Android)

Old 06-30-2010, 06:03 AM
Patrick Clohessy

You can also use the "setup" command to do basic configuration of
network, firewall, authentication, timezone and a few other things. It's
not fancy though and you can't configure all services.

---

Patrick Clohessy
Systems Administrator

Bunnings Group Limited
126 Pilbara Street, Welshpool WA 6106
Locked Bag 20, Welshpool WA 6986
Phone : (08) 9365-1527
Mobile: (04) 0343 1453
Fax : (08) 9350-6686
E-mail : pclohessy@bunnings.com.au

Website: www.bunnings.com.au

wrote:

> Try Webmin. It is not part of a default install but will suit you
> well.
>
> Paul M. Whitney

Bunnings Legal Disclaimer:

1) This email is confidential and may contain legally privileged
information. If you are not the intended recipient, you must not
disclose or use the information contained in it. If you have received
this email in error, please notify us immediately by return email and
delete the document.

2) All emails sent to and sent from Bunnings Group Limited.
are scanned for content. Any material deemed to contain inappropriate
subject matter will be reported to the email administrator of all
parties concerned.