Old 06-18-2010, 06:32 PM
madunix

Default mpath

I booted lately several RHEL5.1 Bladecenter servers with multipath, the
multipath has been implemented typing mpath during the booting installation
from CD.
For our disaster recovery, we found that the linux rhel5 system wont boot up
from replicated SAN LUN using device mapper multipath ... its reporting
kernel panic and cant e2fsck files system to continue ctrl D and type root
password ...etc
in order to boot the system we remounted in read/write mode and edit
/etc/fstab then removed the mpath dev from boot disk, the system was able to
boot

madunix

Old 06-20-2010, 08:50 AM
"Geofrey Rainey"

So the disks became incorrectly labelled is that what you're saying? I
though "mpath" isn't guaranteed to persist and that /dev/mappper paths
should be used anyway?

online at tvnz.co.nz

Old 06-20-2010, 06:22 PM
Thomas von Steiger

If you try to boot from replicated san lun then you have a new wwid for this lun because it's not the same lun where you install rhel5.
You need to hacketihack initrd with the new wwid from the repliacted lun i think inside the init script.
Then you can make a new entry in grub.conf to boot from the replicated lun.

Thomas

Old 07-01-2010, 06:44 AM
madunix

I see multiple boot labels, why this? Can I enable one of them. !!!

#blkid

/dev/mapper/VolGroup00-LogVol01: TYPE="swap"

/dev/mapper/VolGroup00-LogVol00: UUID="6e16f4c9-8a7a-4f4d-a1b5-a07c0f8df665"
TYPE="ext3"

/dev/mapper/mpath0p1: LABEL="/boot"
UUID="08f12bcd-3ff2-4e3b-b305-32977fa6ebea" TYPE="ext3"

/dev/sda1: LABEL="/boot" UUID="08f12bcd-3ff2-4e3b-b305-32977fa6ebea"
TYPE="ext3"

/dev/VolGroup00/LogVol01: TYPE="swap"

/dev/sdb1: LABEL="/boot" UUID="08f12bcd-3ff2-4e3b-b305-32977fa6ebea"
TYPE="ext3"

[root@intra-blade ~]# rpm -aq device-mapper-*

device-mapper-multipath-0.4.7-34.el5_5.1

device-mapper-event-1.02.39-1.el5_5.2

Old 07-02-2010, 04:25 AM
Thomas von Steiger

what means "multipath -ll" ?