-   -   semi-OT: preupgrade FC13, and X (http://www.linux-archive.org/red-hat-linux/381583-semi-ot-preupgrade-fc13-x.html)

06-04-2010 05:22 PM

semi-OT: preupgrade FC13, and X

We are not happy campers. Lessee, it installed the nouveau driver... but
did *not* change /etc/X11/xorg.conf so that it called it, so it hung,
since it tried to start X and couldn't find the driver.

I fixed that. Then I got rid of nouveau, and installed the nvidia driver.

startx works fine. Try to reboot to runlevel 5... and I get a nice splash
screen... and a white, flashing vertical bar, about 1 pixel or so wide,
and maybe 3" or so high. I can *not* get a login window.

So, any clues? Maybe I should change it to KDE. Or maybe just leave it at
runlevel 3....

mark

"Marti, Robert" 06-04-2010 05:33 PM

semi-OT: preupgrade FC13, and X

Why not just use the noveau driver? It "just works" from what I can
see.

Sent from my iPhone

On Jun 4, 2010, at 12:27, "m.roth@5-cent.us" <m.roth@5-cent.us> wrote:

> We are not happy campers. Lessee, it installed the nouveau driver...
> but
> did *not* change /etc/X11/xorg.conf so that it called it, so it hung,
> since it tried to start X and couldn't find the driver.
>
> I fixed that. Then I got rid of nouveau, and installed the nvidia
> driver.
>
> startx works fine. Try to reboot to runlevel 5... and I get a nice
> splash
> screen... and a white, flashing vertical bar, about 1 pixel or so
> wide,
> and maybe 3" or so high. I can *not* get a login window.
>
> So, any clues? Maybe I should change it to KDE. Or maybe just leave
> it at
> runlevel 3....
>
> mark

06-04-2010 05:43 PM

Rob wrote:
> On Jun 4, 2010, at 12:27, "m.roth@5-cent.us" <m.roth@5-cent.us> wrote:
>
>> We are not happy campers. Lessee, it installed the nouveau driver...
>> but did *not* change /etc/X11/xorg.conf so that it called it, so it hung,
>> since it tried to start X and couldn't find the driver.
>>
>> I fixed that. Then I got rid of nouveau, and installed the nvidia
>> driver.
>>
>> startx works fine. Try to reboot to runlevel 5... and I get a nice
>> splash screen... and a white, flashing vertical bar, about 1 pixel or so
>> wide,and maybe 3" or so high. I can *not* get a login window.
>>
>> So, any clues? Maybe I should change it to KDE. Or maybe just leave
>> it at runlevel 3....
>>
> Why not just use the noveau driver? It "just works" from what I can
> see.

Because it gave me exactly the same thing. And, digging down, I found
another, directly related and more serious problem: gdm-simple-slave is
being spawned in a loop... and it doesn't stop. ps -fu root | grep -c
gdm-password is 245, and /var/log/messages is screaming
... pam: gdm-password[22599]: CRITICAL: error getting system bus: The
maximum number of active connections for UID 0 has been reached

mark