Old 05-20-2010, 09:49 PM
Greg Cornell

Default RHEL VPS hosting service

Hello List,

I'm looking into implementing an off-site server. If anyone has recommendations for a hosting services that provides RHEL in a VPS please let me know.

Thanks for your time,
Greg

--
Greg Cornell, Unix Sys Admin
Walla Walla University

Old 05-20-2010, 09:55 PM
Adam Miller

I've been looking for the same for some time, the closest I have found
is VPS providers that offer CentOS. I'm currently a customer of
linode.com and I've been very happy with their level of service as
well as their pricing but you're going to be running CentOS and not
official RHEL.

-AdamM

--
http://maxamillion.googlepages.com

Old 05-20-2010, 10:01 PM
Greg Cornell

Hi Adam,

Thanks, that's exactly what I've been running into, several that offer CentOS but no RHEL. I'm really hoping to find a RHEL solution.

Greg

Old 05-20-2010, 10:03 PM
Barry Brimer

Quoting Adam Miller <maxamillion@fedoraproject.org>:

> I've been looking for the same for some time, the closest I have found
> is VPS providers that offer CentOS. I'm currently a customer of
> linode.com and I've been very happy with their level of service as
> well as their pricing but you're going to be running CentOS and not
> official RHEL.

I've had a few CentOS-based Linodes since 2004. Linode is great. Highly
recommended.

Barry

Old 05-20-2010, 10:08 PM
Greg Cornell

Hi Barry,

> I've had a few CentOS-based Linodes since 2004. Linode is great. Highly
> recommended.

I'll keep them in mind in case I can't find a RHEL solution.

Thanks,
Greg

Old 05-20-2010, 10:15 PM
Paul Whitney

With a RHEL solution it will prob cost more. Afterall updates for RHEL
are not free. Whereas CentOS which is virtually identical is free.

Paul M. Whitney, VCP
Sr. Systems Engineer
Worldwide Information Network Systems
email: whitneyp@winsnetworks.com
cell: 410.493.9448
Pager: 1051178@skytel.com

Old 05-20-2010, 10:23 PM
Greg Cornell

Hi Paul,

> With a RHEL solution it will prob cost more. Afterall updates for RHEL are not
> free. Whereas CentOS which is virtually identical is free.

I was hoping to use one of our existing RHEL licenses for updates. Maybe that's not possible with a hosted server.

Greg

Old 05-20-2010, 10:53 PM
MadTh

Greg,

what is your system requirements and what pricing range are you looking for.

On Fri, May 21, 2010 at 12:23 AM, Greg Cornell

Old 05-20-2010, 11:03 PM
Greg Cornell

> what is your system requirements and what pricing range are you looking for.

Very low, the system we're replacing is a 1.4Ghz Pentium, 512MB RAM, 16GB hard drive. We haven't set a price range yet, but in looking at a few services I'm thinking somewhere in the $50-$100 range.

Greg

Old 05-20-2010, 11:27 PM
mark

Greg Cornell wrote:

Hi Barry,

I've had a few CentOS-based Linodes since 2004. Linode is great. Highly
recommended.

I'll keep them in mind in case I can't find a RHEL solution.

May I ask why not CentOS? I mean, you *do* know that it's RH with the serial
numbers (that is, proprietary packages) filed off?

mark
--
"Mr. Chairman, vows of chastity break far more easily than condoms do."