Old 05-18-2010, 07:21 PM
Nicoli Stupinski

Default iSCSI LUN sharing

I have a system running RHEL 5.5 that has one iSCSI LUN mounted. I would
like to share this same iSCSI LUN with another RHEL 5.5 server, mounted as
read-only (or even RW, if possible, but not required).

I can mount the LUN from the second system but it doesn't noticed any
changes that were made to the filesystem by the first system, the one with
RW access. I have to unmount/mount the FS on the second system to see those
changes (files added, deleted, etc).

It seems that I need something like GFS to do this, but I don't have the
Advnaced Server license, just RH Enterprise Linux.

Can I acheive this by other means? Samba, NFS? If so, what would be the
best route to take.

Thanks.
Nic

Old 05-18-2010, 07:32 PM
"Marti, Robert"

To do it right you'd need a clustered filesystem. Doing it wrong is possible in all kinds of ways that I won't recommend, so I'd look at GFS or some other clustered filesystem. I'd look into getting an AP entitlement.

Rob Marti

Old 05-18-2010, 07:34 PM
hike

On Tue, May 18, 2010 at 3:21 PM, Nicoli Stupinski <nstupinski@gmail.com>wrote:

> I have a system running RHEL 5.5 that has one iSCSI LUN mounted. I would
> like to share this same iSCSI LUN with another RHEL 5.5 server, mounted as
> read-only (or even RW, if possible, but not required).
>
> I can mount the LUN from the second system but it doesn't noticed any
> changes that were made to the filesystem by the first system, the one with
> RW access. I have to unmount/mount the FS on the second system to see
> those
> changes (files added, deleted, etc).
>
> It seems that I need something like GFS to do this, but I don't have the
> Advnaced Server license, just RH Enterprise Linux.
>
> Can I acheive this by other means? Samba, NFS? If so, what would be the
> best route to take.
>
> Thanks.
> Nic

nfs should see the changed file once the change is written to disk.
nfs can be mounted as read-only.
(probably should be otherwise you can run into data corruption issue.)

Old 05-18-2010, 08:10 PM
Romeo Theriault

> Can I acheive this by other means? *Samba, NFS? *If so, what would be the
> best route to take.

If your second system is some sort of Unix, just nfs export the
filesystem from the server that has it mounted as read/write to the
server you to want have a copy of it as well. If it's a Windows system
SMB share the iscsi mounted filesystem out.

--
Romeo Theriault
System Administrator

Old 05-18-2010, 08:14 PM
Nicoli Stupinski

Thanks, Rob.

If I get an AP entitlement, would I have to re-install the OS or would I be
able to just install the GFS stuff I needed?

Nic

Old 05-18-2010, 08:59 PM
"Marti, Robert"

You'd be able to just install additional software.

The problem with just using NFS or Samba to share the data out is that now you've got Box B's job relying on Box A's existence. If they can both see the same data, they're relying on the existence of the data, which is usually easier to provide.

Rob Marti