Old 05-14-2010, 03:04 AM
Percy Barboza

Default Matlab throwing errors about not finding libXp.so.6

yum install libXp should fix the issue

percy

Old 05-17-2010, 11:49 PM
"Bay E. Grabowski"

Sorry for getting back to the list so late, I don't have constant
access to the server. Anyways, attempting to install libXp did not
work, giving the error "No package libXp available." I am running
64-bit RHEL and 64-bit Matlab, if it makes a difference. Thanks for
your help so far.

Bay

Quoting Percy Barboza <p_barboza@hotmail.com>:

yum install libXp should fix the issue

percy

On Thu, 13 May 2010, Bay E. Grabowski wrote:

> /opt/MATLAB/bin/glnxa64/MATLAB: error while loading shared libraries:
> libXp.so.6: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory
>
> I am running the 64-bit version of RHEL and Matlab. I tried to install
> libXpm, but that did not solve the problem. Running "locate libXp" reveals
> that only libXpm.so.4 was available to the system. Can anyone help?

xorg-x11-deprecated-libs formerly hend libXp.so.6

note that libXpm != libXp -- the former deals with xpm
pixmaps, the latter with print clients

http://www.x.org/archive/X11R6.8.1/doc/libXp.3.html

I'd check with your vendor on this --- a LSB confirmant
package should not be asking for this any more

-- Russ herrold

Bay Grabowski
bay@umail.ucsb.edu

Old 05-19-2010, 01:23 PM
Russell Gillette

Sorry for getting back to the list so late, I don't have constant access
to the server. Anyways, attempting to install libXp did not work, giving
the error "No package libXp available." I am running 64-bit RHEL and
64-bit Matlab, if it makes a difference. Thanks for your help so far.

Bay,

looks like it's provided by the libXp-1.0.0-8.1.el5.x86_64 RPM:

[root@x1950 ~]# yum whatprovides /usr/lib64/libXp.so.6
Loaded plugins: rhnplugin
rhel-x86_64-server-5 | 1.3 kB
00:00
primary.xml.gz | 3.2 MB
00:07

rhel-x86_64-server-5 9416/9416
Importing additional filelist information
filelists.xml.gz | 16 MB
00:42

rhel-x86_64-server-5 9416/9416
libXp-1.0.0-8.x86_64 : X.Org X11 libXp runtime library
Matched from:
Filename : /usr/lib64/libXp.so.6

libXp-1.0.0-8.1.el5.x86_64 : X.Org X11 libXp runtime library
Matched from:
Other : Provides-match: /usr/lib64/libXp.so.6

If you have an RHN login, you should be able to download the RPM from there.
--russellg