Old 05-14-2010, 01:03 AM
"Bay E. Grabowski"

Default Matlab throwing errors about not finding libXp.so.6

Hey, all. I've recently installed RHEL5 to run Matlab-based tools on.
Installing worked fine, after a bit of cdrom mount wrangling, but I
get the following error when I try to run "matlab":

/opt/MATLAB/bin/glnxa64/MATLAB: error while loading shared libraries:
libXp.so.6: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory

I am running the 64-bit version of RHEL and Matlab. I tried to install
libXpm, but that did not solve the problem. Running "locate libXp"
reveals that only libXpm.so.4 was available to the system. Can anyone
help?

Thanks,
--
Bay Grabowski
bay@umail.ucsb.edu

Old 05-14-2010, 01:24 AM
R P Herrold

/opt/MATLAB/bin/glnxa64/MATLAB: error while loading shared libraries:
libXp.so.6: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory

I am running the 64-bit version of RHEL and Matlab. I tried to install
libXpm, but that did not solve the problem. Running "locate libXp" reveals
that only libXpm.so.4 was available to the system. Can anyone help?

xorg-x11-deprecated-libs formerly hend libXp.so.6

note that libXpm != libXp -- the former deals with xpm
pixmaps, the latter with print clients

http://www.x.org/archive/X11R6.8.1/doc/libXp.3.html

I'd check with your vendor on this --- a LSB confirmant
package should not be asking for this any more

-- Russ herrold

Old 05-14-2010, 01:37 AM
Greg Cornell

> Hey, all. I've recently installed RHEL5 to run Matlab-based tools on.
> Installing worked fine, after a bit of cdrom mount wrangling, but I
> get the following error when I try to run "matlab":
>
> /opt/MATLAB/bin/glnxa64/MATLAB: error while loading shared libraries:
> libXp.so.6: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory
>
> I am running the 64-bit version of RHEL and Matlab. I tried to install
> libXpm, but that did not solve the problem. Running "locate libXp"
> reveals that only libXpm.so.4 was available to the system. Can anyone
> help?

On our RHEL5 32bit systems, libXp.so.6 is owned by the libXp-1.0.0-8.1.el5 RPM.

Greg