Old 08-21-2008, 04:22 PM
Karanbir Singh

Default perl

Bowie Bailey wrote:

http://svn.rpmforge.net/svn/trunk/tools/dar/dar-perl.py

What exactly is this program supposed to do? Can someone give me an
example of how to use it to install a Perl module and its dependencies?

There is an rpmforge mailing list for tools, thats the best place for
this conversation.

Old 08-21-2008, 04:42 PM
Bowie Bailey

Karanbir Singh wrote:
> Bowie Bailey wrote:
> > > http://svn.rpmforge.net/svn/trunk/tools/dar/dar-perl.py
> > >
> > What exactly is this program supposed to do? Can someone give me an
> > example of how to use it to install a Perl module and its
> > dependencies?
>
> There is an rpmforge mailing list for tools, thats the best place for
> this conversation.

In that case, I will move this conversation over there.

Thanks.

--
Bowie

Old 08-21-2008, 05:29 PM
Scott Silva

on 8-21-2008 8:41 AM Mad Unix spake the following:

Am trying to install ftpsync-1.2.33, prerequisite
[root@PowerEdge1 ftpsync-1.2.33]# cat README | grep ::
- File::Find, IO::Handle
- Net::FTP
- File::Listing

[root@PowerEdge1 ~]# perl -version

This is perl, v5.8.8 built for x86_64-linux-thread-multi

Copyright 1987-2006, Larry Wall

Perl may be copied only under the terms of either the Artistic License
or the

GNU General Public License, which may be found in the Perl 5 source kit.

this system using "man perl" or "perldoc perl". If you have access to the
Internet, point your browser at http://www.perl.org/, the Perl Home Page.

cpan[2]> install File::Find
Running install for module 'File::Find'
The most recent version "1.12" of the module "File::Find"
is part of the perl-5.10.0 distribution. To install that, you need to run
force install File::Find --or--
install R/RG/RGARCIA/perl-5.10.0.tar.gz
Running make test
Can't test without successful make
Running make install
Make had returned bad status, install seems impossible
Failed during this command:
RGARCIA/perl-5.10.0.tar.gz : make NO isa perl

This still shows you trying to install a module that already exists. You were
asked if you know for sure that you need a newer version of File::Find and you
answered with a failed attempt to install it. If you want help, you will have
to answer questions asked by those trying to help you.

--
MailScanner is like deodorant...
You hope everybody uses it, and

Old 08-22-2008, 05:15 AM
Stephen Carville

On Thursday 21 August 2008 4:04 am, Mad Unix wrote:
> Am trying to install perl module "File::Find", but not able it gave the
> following

<snip>

> This is perl, v5.8.8 built for x86_64-linux-thread-multi
>
> Copyright 1987-2006, Larry Wall
>
> Perl may be copied only under the terms of either the Artistic License or
> the
> GNU General Public License, which may be found in the Perl 5 source kit.
>
> Complete documentation for Perl, including FAQ lists, should be found on
> this system using "man perl" or "perldoc perl". If you have access to the
> Internet, point your browser at http://www.perl.org/, the Perl Home Page.

??? File::Find is a part of the 5.8.8 distribution. It should already be
installed. This will tell you for certain:

perl -MFile::Find -e 'print $File::Find::VERSION . "
";'

If you need the latest version you will have to download the source for Perl
5.10.0, locate the File::Find source directory and build it yourself.

--
Stephen

Old 08-22-2008, 09:40 AM
"Mad Unix"

Done. 1000xThanks

On 8/22/08, Stephen Carville <stephen.carville@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Thursday 21 August 2008 4:04 am, Mad Unix wrote:
> > Am trying to install perl module "File::Find", but not able it gave the
> > following
>
> <snip>
>
> > This is perl, v5.8.8 built for x86_64-linux-thread-multi
> >
> > Copyright 1987-2006, Larry Wall
> >
> > Perl may be copied only under the terms of either the Artistic License or
> > the
> > GNU General Public License, which may be found in the Perl 5 source kit.
> >
> > Complete documentation for Perl, including FAQ lists, should be found on
> > this system using "man perl" or "perldoc perl". If you have access to
> the
> > Internet, point your browser at http://www.perl.org/, the Perl Home
> Page.
>

> ??? File::Find is a part of the 5.8.8 distribution. It should already be
> installed. This will tell you for certain:
>
> perl -MFile::Find -e 'print $File::Find::VERSION . "
";'

> If you need the latest version you will have to download the source for
> Perl
> 5.10.0, locate the File::Find source directory and build it yourself.
>
> --
> Stephen

Your search - madunix - did not match any documents.

Old 02-20-2012, 09:42 AM
Patrick Dupre

Hello,

After an update fedora 13 to fedora 14, it looks like that perl has been
installed properly.
Linux teucidide 2.6.35.14-106.fc14.x86_64 #1 SMP Wed Nov 23 13:07:52 UTC
2011 x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux

This is perl 5, version 12, subversion 4 (v5.12.4) built for
x86_64-linux-thread-multi

but

perl -e 'foreach (@INC) {print "$_
";}'
gives:
/usr/local/lib64/perl5
/usr/local/share/perl5
/usr/lib64/perl5
/usr/share/perl5
/usr/lib64/perl5
/usr/share/perl5
/usr/local/lib64/perl5/site_perl/5.10.0/x86_64-linux-thread-multi
/usr/local/lib/perl5/site_perl/5.10.0
/usr/lib64/perl5/vendor_perl/5.10.0/x86_64-linux-thread-multi
/usr/lib/perl5/vendor_perl
/usr/lib/perl5/site_perl

while I do expect:
/usr/local/lib/perl5
/usr/local/share/perl5
/usr/lib/perl5/vendor_perl
/usr/share/perl5/vendor_perl
/usr/lib/perl5
/usr/share/perl5

How can I fix the file Config.pm ?

--
---

Old 02-20-2012, 11:22 AM
Dave Mitchell

On Mon, Feb 20, 2012 at 10:42:06AM +0000, Patrick Dupre wrote:
> After an update fedora 13 to fedora 14, it looks like that perl has been
> installed properly.
> Linux teucidide 2.6.35.14-106.fc14.x86_64 #1 SMP Wed Nov 23 13:07:52
> UTC 2011 x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux
>
> This is perl 5, version 12, subversion 4 (v5.12.4) built for
> x86_64-linux-thread-multi
>
> but
>
> perl -e 'foreach (@INC) {print "$_
";}'
> gives:
> /usr/local/lib64/perl5
> /usr/local/share/perl5
> /usr/lib64/perl5
> /usr/share/perl5
> /usr/lib64/perl5
> /usr/share/perl5
> /usr/local/lib64/perl5/site_perl/5.10.0/x86_64-linux-thread-multi
> /usr/local/lib/perl5/site_perl/5.10.0
> /usr/lib64/perl5/vendor_perl/5.10.0/x86_64-linux-thread-multi
> /usr/lib/perl5/vendor_perl
> /usr/lib/perl5/site_perl
>
> while I do expect:
> /usr/local/lib/perl5
> /usr/local/share/perl5
> /usr/lib/perl5/vendor_perl
> /usr/share/perl5/vendor_perl
> /usr/lib/perl5
> /usr/share/perl5
>

> How can I fix the file Config.pm ?

You can't. The default search paths are hardcoded into the perl executable
at build time, so you'd have to rebuild the perl binary, or add a
BEGIN { @INC = qw(foo bar baz) }
at the top of each script.

But why do you want to do this? Although Fedora's choice of perl library
dirs is somewhat eccentric, is this actually causing you issues?

Note also that on 64-bit fedora, perl binary modules are stored under
/usr/lib64/perl5, so removing that from @INC would break your perl
installation.

--
"There's something wrong with our bloody ships today, Chatfield."
-- Admiral Beatty at the Battle of Jutland, 31st May 1916.

Old 02-20-2012, 11:48 AM
John Pilkington

[...]

Well I suppose the OP was/is worried about the apparent mismatch between
the two versions that appear in his post. I would suggest uninstalling
perl and then reinstalling it by yum or whatever; but again this is F14
and packages may not be easy to find.

John P

Old 02-20-2012, 02:35 PM
Dave Mitchell

On Mon, Feb 20, 2012 at 12:48:33PM +0000, John Pilkington wrote:
> On 20/02/12 12:22, Dave Mitchell wrote:
> >On Mon, Feb 20, 2012 at 10:42:06AM +0000, Patrick Dupre wrote:
> >>How can I fix the file Config.pm ?
> >
> >You can't. The default search paths are hardcoded into the perl executable
> >at build time, so you'd have to rebuild the perl binary, or add a
> > BEGIN { @INC = qw(foo bar baz) }
> >at the top of each script.
> >
> >But why do you want to do this? Although Fedora's choice of perl library
> >dirs is somewhat eccentric, is this actually causing you issues?
> >
> >Note also that on 64-bit fedora, perl binary modules are stored under
> >/usr/lib64/perl5, so removing that from @INC would break your perl
> >installation.
> >
> Well I suppose the OP was/is worried about the apparent mismatch
> between the two versions that appear in his post. I would suggest
> uninstalling perl and then reinstalling it by yum or whatever; but
> again this is F14 and packages may not be easy to find.

The perl that comes with F14 is built with those paths, so reinstalling it
with yum won't make any difference.
The 5.10.0 version-specific directories are empty (on my F14 anyway), so
shouldn't affect anything, unless the OP has installed some modules
directly rather than via yum, using an old fedora 5.10.0 perl; then not
having deleted or reinstalled them since.

--
I before E. Except when it isn't.