Old 08-21-2008, 02:00 PM
Karanbir Singh

Default perl

Bowie Bailey wrote:

If someone would come up with a way to automate the dependency
resolution so that I could grab and package everything at once, then I
would do it,

dag has a script that does just this.

- KB

Old 08-21-2008, 02:15 PM
Steve Huff

On Aug 21, 2008, at 10:00 AM, Karanbir Singh wrote:

Bowie Bailey wrote:

If someone would come up with a way to automate the dependency
resolution so that I could grab and package everything at once,
then I

would do it,

dag has a script that does just this.

can you post a link? i've just been searching dag's site and
rpmrepo.org for a while, and i can't find any such script. this would
be very useful to me as well.

thanks,
-steve

--
If this were played upon a stage now, I could condemn it as an
improbable fiction. - Fabian, Twelfth Night, III,v

Old 08-21-2008, 02:28 PM
Karanbir Singh

Steve Huff wrote:

If someone would come up with a way to automate the dependency
resolution so that I could grab and package everything at once, then I
would do it,

dag has a script that does just this.
can you post a link? i've just been searching dag's site and
rpmrepo.org for a while, and i can't find any such script. this would
be very useful to me as well.

Here we go:
http://svn.rpmforge.net/svn/trunk/tools/dar/dar-perl.py

I am sure Dag will appreciate feedback and info on the script.

Old 08-21-2008, 03:14 PM
"Mad Unix"

Am still not able to install Find_File....

If someone would come up with a way to automate the dependency

resolution so that I could grab and package everything at once, then I

would do it,

dag has a script that does just this.

can you post a link? *i've just been searching dag's site and rpmrepo.org for a while, and i can't find any such script. *this would be very useful to me as well.

Here we go:

http://svn.rpmforge.net/svn/trunk/tools/dar/dar-perl.py

I am sure Dag will appreciate feedback and info on the script.

--

Karanbir Singh : http://www.karan.org/ *: 2522219@icq

Your search - madunix - did not match any documents.

Old 08-21-2008, 03:33 PM
Steve Huff

Am still not able to install Find_File....

if i may ask, why do you need to install this module? as was noted
above, it's already part of perl. do you know for certain that you
need a newer version of File::Find than is already installed?

-steve

Old 08-21-2008, 03:35 PM
Bowie Bailey

Karanbir Singh wrote:
> > > dag has a script that does just this.
> > can you post a link? i've just been searching dag's site and
> > rpmrepo.org for a while, and i can't find any such script. this
> > would be very useful to me as well.
>
> Here we go:
> http://svn.rpmforge.net/svn/trunk/tools/dar/dar-perl.py
>
> I am sure Dag will appreciate feedback and info on the script.

It's not in an rpm???

Thanks for the link. I don't think I can start using it now since I
have everything installed via CPAN at the moment, but I'll keep it in
mind for the next installation.

--
Bowie

Old 08-21-2008, 03:41 PM
"Mad Unix"

Am trying to install ftpsync-1.2.33, prerequisite
[root@PowerEdge1 ftpsync-1.2.33]# cat README | grep ::
- File::Find, IO::Handle
- Net::FTP
- File::Listing

[root@PowerEdge1 ~]# perl -version

This is perl, v5.8.8 built for x86_64-linux-thread-multi

Copyright 1987-2006, Larry Wall

Perl may be copied only under the terms of either the Artistic License or the
GNU General Public License, which may be found in the Perl 5 source kit.

this system using "man perl" or "perldoc perl".* If you have access to the
Internet, point your browser at http://www.perl.org/, the Perl Home Page.

cpan[2]> install File::Find
Running install for module 'File::Find'
The most recent version "1.12" of the module "File::Find"
is part of the perl-5.10.0 distribution. To install that, you need to run

* force install File::Find** --or--
* install R/RG/RGARCIA/perl-5.10.0.tar.gz
Running make test
* Can't test without successful make
Running make install
* Make had returned bad status, install seems impossible

Failed during this command:
*RGARCIA/perl-5.10.0.tar.gz****************** : make NO isa perl

Old 08-21-2008, 03:54 PM
Bowie Bailey

Mad Unix wrote:
> Am trying to install ftpsync-1.2.33, prerequisite
> [root@PowerEdge1 ftpsync-1.2.33]# cat README | grep ::
> - File::Find, IO::Handle
> - Net::FTP
> - File::Listing
>
> cpan[2]> install File::Find
> Running install for module 'File::Find'
> The most recent version "1.12" of the module "File::Find"
> is part of the perl-5.10.0 distribution. To install that, you need to
> run force install File::Find --or--
> install R/RG/RGARCIA/perl-5.10.0.tar.gz

Cpan is trying to install the latest File::Find, but since File::Find is
part of the base Perl distribution, it can't upgrade it without
upgrading your Perl version as well (which is not allowed by default).

To determine if you have File::Find already installed (which you
should), do this:

perl -e 'use File::Find'

If that runs without errors, it is already installed and you don't have
to worry about it.

--
Bowie

Old 08-21-2008, 04:06 PM
"Mad Unix"

Thanks,

[root@PowerEdge1 ftpsync-1.2.33]# perl -e 'use File::Find'

Old 08-21-2008, 04:10 PM
Bowie Bailey

Karanbir Singh wrote:
> > > dag has a script that does just this.
> > can you post a link? i've just been searching dag's site and
> > rpmrepo.org for a while, and i can't find any such script. this
> > would be very useful to me as well.
>
> Here we go:
> http://svn.rpmforge.net/svn/trunk/tools/dar/dar-perl.py
>
> I am sure Dag will appreciate feedback and info on the script.

I grabbed the file and tried it out to see what it would do. It dumped
what looked like a spec file and then gave an error.

$ ./dar-perl.py Compress::Zlib

[normal spec information snipped]

%files
%defattr(-, root, root, 0755)
%doc Changes MANIFEST META.yml README examples/
%doc %{_mandir}/man3/Compress::Zlib.3pm*
%dir %{perl_vendorlib}/Compress/
#%{perl_vendorlib}/Compress/Zlib/
%{perl_vendorlib}/Compress/Zlib.pm

%changelog
Traceback (most recent call last):
File "./dar-perl.py", line 679, in ?
print >>out, '* %s %s - %s-1' % (time.strftime('%a %b %d %Y',
time.localtime()), authorities[logname], version)
KeyError: 'bowieb'
$

Any idea what happened here?

What exactly is this program supposed to do? Can someone give me an
example of how to use it to install a Perl module and its dependencies?

--
Bowie