Old 03-19-2010, 02:35 AM
Sir June

Default lvreduce and lvextend

In reducing or extending a logical volume, does it need to be unmounted first? how do i reduce /var and then use the freed space to extend / ?

thanks,
Sir June

Old 03-19-2010, 02:54 AM
sudheer koppala

you have to unmount file system first then only we can reduce the file
system

#umount /file system
#system-config-lvm

On Fri, Mar 19, 2010 at 9:05 AM, Sir June <sir_june@yahoo.com> wrote:

> In reducing or extending a logical volume, does it need to be unmounted
> first? how do i reduce /var and then use the freed space to extend / ?
>
> thanks,
> Sir June

regards
sudheer koppala
9703609294

Old 03-19-2010, 03:07 AM
"Geofrey Rainey"

Try running resize2fs first (reduce the filesystem), then use lvresize.
Then do the same for / but execute the commands in the other order. I
don't think either need to be umounted but if they do, fuser /var will
tell you what you
Need to stop to umount /var.

In reducing or extending a logical volume, does it need to be unmounted
first? how do i reduce /var and then use the freed space to extend /
?

thanks,
Sir June

online at tvnz.co.nz

Old 03-19-2010, 06:25 PM
Eugene Vilensky

On Thu, Mar 18, 2010 at 11:07 PM, Geofrey Rainey
<Geofrey.Rainey@tvnz.co.nz> wrote:
> Try running resize2fs first (reduce the filesystem), then use lvresize.
> Then do the same for / but execute the commands in the other order. I
> don't think either need to be umounted but if they do, fuser /var will
> tell you what you
> Need to stop to umount /var.

resize2fs can only shrink unmounted filesystems.

Old 03-23-2010, 04:27 AM
Shankar Jha

Hi,

Resizing logical volumes:
Task-1: Resize 'logvolopt' to 20Gb
#lvresize -l 20GB /dev/volgroup001/logvolopt
#lvdisplay
#df -h
resize the file system to update the inode table on the logical volume
to account for new storage in 'logvolopt'
#resize2fs -p /dev/volgroup001/logvolopt

Note*-You may resize the file system online if the following are met:
a). 2.6xkernel series
b). must be formatted with ext3 format.

Task-2: Shrink(resize) 'logvolopt' to 15GB
#lvresize -L 15GB /dev/volgroup001 /logvolopt
#lvdisplay
#df -h
for online
#resize2fs -p /dev/volgroup001 /logvolopt
#df -h

Note*- Check disk utilization prior to shrinking to reduce the risk of
losing data.

Rgds,
Shankar

Old 03-24-2010, 04:37 PM
Eugene Vilensky

On Tue, Mar 23, 2010 at 12:27 AM, Shankar Jha <shankar.jha@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Resizing logical volumes:
> Task-1: Resize 'logvolopt' to 20Gb
> #lvresize -l 20GB /dev/volgroup001/logvolopt
> #lvdisplay
> #df -h
> resize the file system to update the inode table on the logical volume
> to account for new storage in 'logvolopt'
> #resize2fs -p /dev/volgroup001/logvolopt
>
> Note*-You may resize the file system online if the following are met:
> a). 2.6xkernel series
> b). must be formatted with ext3 format.

So is this part of the manpage out of date?

" The resize2fs program will resize ext2 or ext3 file systems. It
can be used to enlarge or shrink an
unmounted file system located on device. If the filesystem is
mounted, it can be used to expand the
size of the mounted filesystem, assuming the kernel supports
on-line resizing. (As of this writing,
the Linux 2.6 kernel supports on-line resize for filesystems
mounted using ext3 only.)."

Old 03-24-2010, 04:47 PM
"Marti, Robert"

I'm not sure what Shankar posted disagrees with the manpage quote. I guess I'm missing something.

Rob Marti

Old 03-24-2010, 05:48 PM
Eugene Vilensky

On Wed, Mar 24, 2010 at 12:47 PM, Marti, Robert <RJM002@shsu.edu> wrote:
> I'm not sure what Shankar posted disagrees with the manpage quote. *I guess I'm missing something.
>
> Rob Marti

Shankar is offering this:

>Task-2: Shrink(resize) 'logvolopt' to 15GB
>#lvresize -L 15GB /dev/volgroup001 /logvolopt
>#lvdisplay
>#df -h
>for online
>#resize2fs -p /dev/volgroup001 /logvolopt
>#df -h

online shrinking is not something the the manual page RESIZE2FS(8) offers.

Old 03-24-2010, 05:57 PM
"Marti, Robert"

Ah. The other email, IE the one I replied to, didn't have Task 2, just task 1.

I'm not sure if shrinking online is supported or not...

Rob Marti

> I'm not sure what Shankar posted disagrees with the manpage quote. *I guess I'm missing something.
>
> Rob Marti

Shankar is offering this:

Old 03-24-2010, 06:27 PM

Rob wrote:
> Ah. The other email, IE the one I replied to, didn't have Task 2, just
> task 1.
>
> I'm not sure if shrinking online is supported or not...

I, for one, would *not* write code to allow that. The chances of toasting
your f/s, and or files on it, are far too close to 1:1.

mark