Old 03-08-2010, 05:22 PM
"Kaydo"

Default NTP Configuration.

Howdy Everyone,

I'm new to RHREL 5.4 and am trying to setup an NTP server on my network.
I've done lots of googling and man page reading, but I'm still a bit
confused on a few things.

1. Do I need to have a step-tickers file? If so, why?

2. When I configure my client RHEL machines to access my NTP server, is it
better to run ntpd or use ntpdate in a cron job? I've seen articles with
people using both methods so I'm not sure which is better.

3. My ntp.conf file has a line that says "restrict default kod nomodify
notrap no peer noquery". Do I still need to have separate restrict lines
for each of my server entries or will that one line cover all of them? Eg.
restrict ntp.server.org mask 255.255.255.255 nomodify notrap noquery

Thanks guys.

- Kaydo

Old 03-08-2010, 05:35 PM

> Howdy Everyone,
>
> I'm new to RHREL 5.4 and am trying to setup an NTP server on my network.
> I've done lots of googling and man page reading, but I'm still a bit
> confused on a few things.
>
> 1. Do I need to have a step-tickers file? If so, why?

Those are where it's looking for steps.

> 2. When I configure my client RHEL machines to access my NTP server, is
> it better to run ntpd or use ntpdate in a cron job? I've seen articles
> with people using both methods so I'm not sure which is better.

I assume you're online, not on dialup. If online, run the daemon. I only
use the ntpdate to sync the server up to start with, or if something's
happened.

> 3. My ntp.conf file has a line that says "restrict default kod nomodify
> notrap no peer noquery". Do I still need to have separate restrict lines
> for each of my server entries or will that one line cover all of them?
> Eg. restrict ntp.server.org mask 255.255.255.255 nomodify notrap noquery

You've got a default, further up.

mark

Old 03-09-2010, 12:54 PM
Amit Maheshwari

Hi,

If you open # vim /etc/ntp.conf file then you can see bellow section :

# Use public servers from the pool.ntp.org project.
# Please consider joining the pool (http://www.pool.ntp.org/join.html).
server 0.centos.pool.ntp.org
server 1.centos.pool.ntp.org
server 2.centos.pool.ntp.org

now need to put ntp server there to sync with client machine

On Mon, Mar 8, 2010 at 11:52 PM, Kaydo <kaydo@rice.edu> wrote:

> Howdy Everyone,
>
> I'm new to RHREL 5.4 and am trying to setup an NTP server on my network.
> I've done lots of googling and man page reading, but I'm still a bit
> confused on a few things.
>
> 1. Do I need to have a step-tickers file? If so, why?
>
> 2. When I configure my client RHEL machines to access my NTP server, is it
> better to run ntpd or use ntpdate in a cron job? I've seen articles with
> people using both methods so I'm not sure which is better.
>
> 3. My ntp.conf file has a line that says "restrict default kod nomodify
> notrap no peer noquery". Do I still need to have separate restrict lines
> for each of my server entries or will that one line cover all of them? Eg.
> restrict ntp.server.org mask 255.255.255.255 nomodify notrap noquery
>
> Thanks guys.
>
> - Kaydo

Amit Maheshwari
Linux System Administrator