Old 03-08-2010, 03:32 PM
Sir June

Default flie link inside wiki page

Hi,
I have a local wiki page in our intranet. I am trying to make a "file link" in one of the pages such that our users will just have to click that link and the file would be displayed in the local computers, and also i like to link a file such that it would downloaded into their computer after clicking it. But the link is just showing as normal text and does not have the link to click on it. Typing the link in browser, Firefox, works fine. How do i add this in my wiki page?

file://///remotefileserver/data/systemfiles/testfile.txt

thanks,

Sir June

Old 03-08-2010, 03:46 PM

> Hi,
> I have a local wiki page in our intranet. I am trying to make a "file
> link" in one of the pages such that our users will just have to click
> that link and the file would be displayed in the local computers, and also
> i like to link a file such that it would downloaded into their computer
> after clicking it. But the link is just showing as normal text and does
> not have the link to click on it. Typing the link in browser, Firefox,
> works fine. How do i add this in my wiki page?
>
> file://///remotefileserver/data/systemfiles/testfile.txt

It might help if you told us *which* wiki software you have installed. It
also might help if you edit the wiki in the wiki editor, and see what it
tells you to use for a link.

mark

Old 03-08-2010, 05:43 PM
Sir June

I used MediaWiki. There's nothing if i use the edit. it just displays the text i typed as it is. even if i use the [ ]. I had read about "ExtensionFileLink" though -- does this basically, means, file linking in the wiki is not enabled by default?

Sir June

Old 03-08-2010, 06:02 PM

>>> I have a local wiki page in our intranet. I am trying to make a "file
>>> link" in one of the pages such that our users will just have to click
>>> that link and the file would be displayed in the local computers, and
>>> also
>>> i like to link a file such that it would downloaded into their computer
>>> after clicking it. But the link is just showing as normal text and does
>>> not have the link to click on it. Typing the link in browser, Firefox,
>>> works fine. How do i add this in my wiki page?
<snip>
> It might help if you told us *which* wiki software you have installed. It
> also might help if you edit the wiki in the wiki editor, and see what it
> tells you to use for a link.

> I used MediaWiki. There's nothing if i use the edit. it just displays
> the text i typed as it is. even if i use the [ ]. I had read about
> "ExtensionFileLink" though -- does this basically, means, file linking in
> the wiki is not enabled by default?

I've installed mediawiki several times, and linking is always available. I
don't remember if you need to have [[ rather than [, but the buttons
available in the editor know how to do the right thing.

mark